Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Fan Speed Not Registering In BIOS

• Please log in to reply

Compendium Guy

Compendium Guy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My fan in blowing in my power supply and on my chip but in BIOS my system fan speed is highlighted in red at 0 RPM. Then the temp rises progressively on my CPU around 200 degrees when I get a terminal conflict error. I can't seem to set the temp rating and the rmp registers on the fan. v2.53 American Megatrends, Inc. is the BIOS and not sure if I need to get new fan or what. I have a PSU_FAN and a CHA_FAN switch but both do nothing when dipped. On an unrelated note I can't get into my windows as I have a system32 file corrupted (hal.dll) If anyone has any insight, I'm all ears...

THX

CG

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Re. the chassis fan speed. Assuming that the fan is actually turning, then check the number of wires it uses. For the bios to monitor the fans rpm, the fan must have a sense wire i.e 3 wires in total - vcc, ground, sense. The sense wire is often white or yellow.

I'm not sure what you mean about setting the temperatures. What's the highest temperature your cpu etc is currently reaching?

Re. hal.dll
This error can be caused by a number of things, including a missing, corrupt or incorrect boot.ini file, corrupt boot sector, failing hard disk, virus.

Your options are :

1. boot from the XP CD & select recovery console. You should then be able to restore the hal.dll file by extracting a fresh copy of it from the XP CD, using the command :
expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32
where x is the CDROM drive letter.

To replace the boot.ini file, from recovery console, use the command:
bootcfg /rebuild

To fix a boot sector problem, from inside recovery console, use the command :
fixboot

If these steps don't work then try this:

2. Boot from XP CD, start the XP Installation, bypass recovery console but then select the Repair option ('R'). This should repair any corrupt or missing system files whilst leaving your data intact.

Compendium Guy

Compendium Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help and the welcome. I can't get the command prompt long enough to type in the commands before my system crashes. the error is coming up as:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Not sure what this is but i've also gotten acpi.sys errors as well. It may not be a temp issue at all but can't see any other conflict other than the system fan highlighted in red at 0rpm. The other fan reaches a little over 200 degrees before it highlights in red.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, couple of things here.

I'm not sure which fan you mean (I assume you mean the cpu one), but whichever one it is, 200F is far too hot. If it's 200C, then it's probably an inaccurate reading! At 200F, that converts to 93C which is still far too hot for any component.

If any of the temps are getting this high, then that would probably explain the problems you are having. Whats more, you shouldn't power the system on again until this has been resolved. If it's the CPU temperature that's getting this hot, then you may wish to consider the following options:

1. Purchase some good quality thermal compound (I recommend Arctic Silver 5 or similar) & renew the thermal compound under the cpu. This must be done in a very specific way so if you need help with this, let me know. (I'll also need to know which cpu you have)

2. You may also want to consider buy a better heatsink/fan assembly. If not, then at very least check your current heaksink/fan for dust & clean it out.

3. If there's places in the case to mount additional system fans, then you could also do this. Also check whether the drive cabling is blocking the airflow & if necessary, tidy it up.

NB If your cpu is really getting this hot, then (#1) is pretty much essential, and (#2) is highly recommended!

The problems you are getting could be caused by something other than heat but there's little point speculating about this until the heat issue is resolved.

Compendium Guy

Compendium Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not sure if this is the case as I can touch the heatsink and feels really warm, but not hot enough to take finger away...

I was able to boot up quick enough to use FIXBOOT command and there was no change.

Hooked up extra fan to CHA_FAN (Chassis Fan) and three fans going, still same prob.

Getting different errors as with different bios settings: Page errors, sys errors, etc...

If I have a bad driver, how do I disable from command prompt?

CG

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The temperature reading is the temp of the cpu, not the heatsink. Heatsinks will get warm but rarely get that hot even when the cpu does, so don't pay too much attention to that.

The random different errors you are getting indicate either a problem with the cpu or the memory as the 2 most likely causes. Assuming the cpu temperature sensor is correct, then the chances are your problems are being caused by the cpu - in your case, due to overheating. UNTIL YOU ADDRESS THE HEAT ISSUE, THE ERRORS WILL NOT GO AWAY. What's more, each time the cpu overheats, it's life expectancy decreases.

Compendium Guy

Compendium Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, i'm sure there's heat damaged something in there. There was an ATI 9800 card that burned up in a PCI slot a while back, which I think is when this problem started, and after reading info on all the error messages, this may indicate that there was a problem with ventilation and fan power. I don't see how it could be anything else other than the chip or the MoBo. Either way it's $. I'll try the Artic Silver 5 and see if it's salvageable. Thanks for the help.

CG

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, let us know how you get on.

If you visit Arctic Silvers website, you'll find detailed instructions for your particular cpu on how to apply the thermal paste correctly. I strongly advise that you follow these instructions exactly otherwise you could do more harm than good!