Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software recs for creating/recording an international podcast

• Please log in to reply

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello everyone,

I have been having great fun recording a podcast with a total of three hosts, two in the continental USA and the third in the UK. So far, we have tried using VoIP clients for recording with some mixed success. First, we tried Gizmo which worked well, but the sound quality was a bit lacking. Currently, we are using Skype for the VoIP client and a third-party app called Pamela to record the "conference call" conversations for editing and production of the podcast.

My question is that we are having problems with Skype (and likely most VoIP programs I am familiar with) due to the long route our packets must travel and the loss of sound quality. Have any users here found a different program or client for recording podcasts or even a different service where perhaps we could all call in to a central location and record? The complicating factor is the host in the UK and the other two hosts on a different continent.

Any ideas, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Tom

Edited by gust0208, 03 July 2007 - 09:08 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I suggest that you check out http://www.twit.tv/. quite a few of the first episodes contain discussions on things they have tried. You might especially try contacting Leo Laporte and see what he advises. I know that they use skpe. They often have someone from the UK connecting into the podcast along with people in the US. I also know that the quality of the microphone has a great deal to do with quality.

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

well I suggest that you check out http://www.twit.tv/. quite a few of the first episodes contain discussions on things they have tried. You might especially try contacting Leo Laporte and see what he advises. I know that they use skpe. They often have someone from the UK connecting into the podcast along with people in the US. I also know that the quality of the microphone has a great deal to do with quality.

Hey starjax,

Thanks for the reply and I will definitely check out those twit episodes. We have found a new way to try recording that has been working well with some pros/cons over the Skype method. Currently, we are recording via a service called TalkShoe that allows for the hosts to call in via a phone number (can use SkypeOut) and it records it centrally. It seemed to work well for our trial run and had a few advantages like the ability to have "live callers" and a live schedule, but does have small audio ads that get included. We are still experimenting and I will try and keep this post updated!

Cheers,
Tom