Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I upgrade some, or do I have to do all?

• Please log in to reply

kawichick

kawichick

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am wanting to upgrade my computer. I built it myself and don't have any of the orginial information any more. I'm trying to figure out if I can just upgrade the CPU and RAM to speed things up, but I don't know what my motherboard supports. I downloaded a program that give me all my system info and such, but can't find the info I am looking for online. This will teach me to hold on to EVERYTHING in the future. It says its a Jetway V266A, but all the images I'm finding don't match. PLEASE HELP! I cannot take the LAG in games and even everyday use. I'd like to spend as little money as possible, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my computer up to snuff. Its been quite a few years now, at least 2, but probably more. Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to help me out. You guys have helped me before and you really rock.

~Salim~

Edited by kawichick, 04 July 2007 - 09:03 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a Socket A board, so upgrade ability is limited to a point where it's probably not worth spending any more money on it.

Technology has moved on a lot since then, but all the bits have changed. So you'd be looking at a new board, processor, memory and graphics card.

AySz88

AySz88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
And for RAM, Crucial says that your motherboard has two slots for regular (SDR) SDRAM and two slots for DDR SDRAM (though I'd "scan" the system to be sure, and I haven't figured out whether you can utilize both kinds of slots at once). Considering that the standard for RAM these days is DDR2 SDRAM (and we're in the transition into DDR3), it's probably more worth it to save up and then upgrade everything.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks a lot for your replies. I kinda figured I would need to upgrade more. I guess I'll add a new motherboard to my shopping list. My graphics card can wait. It a 128, so it'll do for now. I appreciate your honesty.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi kawichick, if you like, you can post the parts you are looking at getting (preferably with a web link) and we can tell you if it's compatible, any issues you might encounter or we might be able to find and recommend a better deal for your money! It's a pretty good forum here, so ask away :whistling:

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks! I may just do that. I have to find out what all I have that I want to keep and then I'll get back here.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Finally got around to finding out what all I have. Here is my system. I'd like to keep as much of it as possible, but I know I want a new processor and more RAM. Thanks in advance!!!

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1247 MHz (6.25 x 200)
Motherboard Name Syntax V266A
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366A Apollo KT266A
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter RADEON 9200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
Optical Drive ATAPI CD-ROM MAX 58X
Optical Drive SONY DVD RW DRU-820A
Network Adapter NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (NGRPCI)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

My case is this one, which I'd like to keep and would also like a motherboard that can utilize the four front USB ports (MUCH easier access than the back of the case).

Thanks again for helping me out. I'd love to hear what your opinions are and hope that you can help me out, without breaking the bank, LOL.

Edited by kawichick, 08 July 2007 - 09:46 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In a new system, all you'll be able to take over to the new one is the CD units and the hard drive. Nothing else is transferable.
A new board will have onboard sound and onboard network interface so you won't need those. New boards take PCI Express, yours is AGP. Memory is DDR2, yours is DDR (not interchangeable), CPU is Socket A, new ones take AM2 or 775.

The hard drive might be an issue as well, most new board only have support for one IDE connector which your hard drive and your CD units use. You can't have three together. So you may well need a new SATA hard drive as well. Virtually all boards have stand-offs for you to connect front panel USB ports to. A new board and stuff will easily fit in that case.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Neil. That's what I was afraid of. I can't afford to upgrade everything right now. I'll have to save and plan ahead. Can you recommend a faster processor that would help speed things up, for now? I was looking at the AMD Althons, socket A, but I'm still not 100% sure which ones I CAN use. I think I'll snag another stick of RAM too, since I only have the single one in there. The motherboard only supports 1G, but I think that will help my speed problem enough, for now. Thanks again!

Edited by kawichick, 08 July 2007 - 04:21 PM.

AySz88

AySz88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
About the hard drives and such using IDE, you can get an adapter to use your IDE devices on SATA ports for about $15. Here's the cheapest one that I could find on Newegg: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822998008

Edited by AySz88, 08 July 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If I can point out that any money spent on your current build is going to be dead money, I really don't believe it's worth spending any money on it at all. It will be better just to keep saving toward your next build. Unless, I suppose, you can get what you need EXTREMELY cheap.

As for your next build, your case will be fine to keep, but depending on what parts you end up buying, it might mean that you need a new PSU as well.