Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powerpoint

• Please log in to reply

dl7386

dl7386

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A file that was created in Powerpoint, and save as a .ppt file is not recognized as being associated with the Powerpoint application. When the powerpoint was loaded, it would not run quickly, so I tried to delete some files that I thought might be slowing down the system. I may have deleted a temp file for the file I was trying to run. Is there anything I can do that will fix the file so that the application reads it as a Powerpoint file?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome dl7386 :)

How to Change a File Association in Windows 2000
You may want to change the association of a file name extension from one program to another program. To change an existing file association:
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click a file with the extension whose association that you want to change, and then click Open With.
In the Open With dialog box, click the program that you want to use to open the file type. Or, click Choose Program to choose the program that you want. If the program is not listed, click Other to locate your program.
Click the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option.

How to Create a File Association for an Unassociated File Type in Windows 2000
You may want to create a file association for a file type that is not known to Windows 2000 by default. There are two common reasons for this action:
A program (typically a database program) produces file reports with extensions that are not registered in Windows 2000.
You receive e-mail message attachments that were created in a program that is not installed on your computer. The file name extension is not registered, but you have a program that can open these files.

To create a file association for an unassociated file type:
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click a file with the extension whose association that you want to create, and then click Open. Or, double-click the file.
In the Open With dialog box, choose a program to associate with this file name extension. Click the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option.

You can read all the details in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article