Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xbox 360 VGA AV Cable

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi im not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even if any of you guys know, but its worth a shot. I have my pc and recently purchased an xbox 360 however my tv is not hd but my monitor from the pc is. I have found that i can rig my 360 up to the monitor using a "Xbox 360 VGA AV Cable" anyway my question is. How do i get the sound from my xbox game outputted? my monitor does not have built in speakers they are seporate and plugged into my base unit the monitor does not have any other connection points other than power lead and VGA cable to my gfx card to supply the picture. If anyone knows how i can get sound or even if the VGA cable itself will supply sound could you please let me know.
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I'm not sure what cable you get the xbox.
But to enter sound into the computer you can use the sound card.
Here is a picture of a newer sound card
Posted Image
The basic connections are the red blue and green. The green one is connected to the speakers. The option of the xbox would be to get a cable with a banana at one end and what ever connection out put from the xbox. could be something like this
Posted Image
If there are ant more questions feel free to ask.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi first off thank you very much for the reply, but im not sure if i am suppose to be going through the base unit of the computer it is a direct connection to my monitor from the xbox (i think) this is tha cable i may be buying.

http://www.amazon.co...a...4118&sr=8-9

however i am now a little confused? will i need to connect this to my graphics card on the base unit and also my sound card? or does this connect directly to my pc monitor.. if it does connect directly to my monitor and does not include my base unit how do i get the sound? my monitor does not have built in speakers!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
They make a converter like the the 2nd picture he showed only with one male and two female connection instead of the all male connections shown. It converts standard I/O plug on your speakers to the RCA audio cables that your x box uses. They will plug directly into your speakers. I don't what they are called but I know they are out there because a converter came with my Logitech speakers.

Edited by Titan8990, 05 July 2007 - 02:12 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Here is a picture of audio connectors
Posted Image
The cable you ant to purchse has a rca connector. This will not fit directly to the sound card. However This connection usually fits into a stereo system. So if you have one near the xbox you can see if you connect it there. This will probubly be the best sound unless you have a good sound system in you'r computer.
If you don't have sterio to connect it to then you will need a 3.5mm connector to fit into the sound card there are simple adapters. To hear the sound you need the computer running (even without a monitor connected)

The vga cable connector looks like it fits into the monitor directly and not to its cable or it needs to go into the PC but connecting that is not a simple.

I'm sorry I don't have time right now to search and find mybe a better cable.
Let me know what you found.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ah was curious as to what the standard speaker cable was called. So what you are looking for is a RCA to 3.5mm converter. All the connections of the converter should be female. I made a mistake on my last post.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ahh ok i think im beging to understand how it will work.. the sound plugs on the xbox vga cable plug into an attachment that goes into my base units onboard sound! I do not have a stereo anymore just recently got rid of it. So i will need to go through my pc. my speakers will also be attached to the sound card to produce the sound. My grfx card has both vga and dvi jacks i have a converter to change vga to div or vise versa. I will use that and plug the VGA from the xbox cable into the DVI part of the gfx card and my monitor which is VGA will be attached directly to the VGA port on my gfx card then i need to run base unit and xbox.. but then how will the computer know which image to display?? base unit or xbox? if both ports on gfx card are used? will i need to play around with ati catalys settings?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your Xbox will plug directly into your monitor and directly into your computer speakers. I will try to dig up the converter that I have and take a picture of it for you.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ahh thanks will i need any adaptors? both my monitor cable and speaker cables are moulded.. none have any jacks/ports only the cables u plug into the sound card and the VGA cable from my monitor which i plug into my gfx card.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You mean your monitor doesn't have female connections, just cables? Have you already got your video working with just no sound? I wasn't able to find what I was looking for but I will search again after my college interview this afternoon.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
my monitor has a power plug and the vga male i think and nothing else... i have yet to buy the cable but i wanted to ensure i would know exactly how to connect it and if indeed it would connect along with sound.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo_0024.jpg

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
What you posted here is the main idea.

ahh ok i think im beging to understand how it will work.. the sound plugs on the xbox vga cable plug into an attachment that goes into my base units onboard sound! I do not have a stereo anymore just recently got rid of it. So i will need to go through my pc. my speakers will also be attached to the sound card to produce the sound. My grfx card has both vga and dvi jacks i have a converter to change vga to div or vise versa. I will use that and plug the VGA from the xbox cable into the DVI part of the gfx card and my monitor which is VGA will be attached directly to the VGA port on my gfx card then i need to run base unit and xbox.. but then how will the computer know which image to display?? base unit or xbox? if both ports on gfx card are used? will i need to play around with ati catalys settings?

I did some background search. The only thing is what you mentioned at the end. To connect the cable to the gfx card you need a gfx card that suppurts video in or you wont be able to connect cause the card wont support it. What is the model of you'r gfx card I'll see if I can get any info to help out. Or all that we are planning may not work.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Yeh it does seem to be coming to a dead end as i do not think my gfx card supports video in. it is ATI radeon x800gto 256mb.. i think that maybe i will just have to save all my hard earnd pennys to jump on the HD bandwagon and buy a propper hd tv..

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Sorry to say thst you'r gfx card does not support tv in.
And your monitor does not have a femail vga.
It looks like we hit a dead end. :blink:
Good luck with the new tv. :whistling:

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
No worries il just look into getting a hd tv then :whistling: well suppose it will up my pleasure of watching dvds and tv