Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DuelBoot on HP Pavilion

• Please log in to reply

paganene

paganene

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Pavilion w/XP home, 1 gig memory, and a 200 gig HD.
The HD has C (XP) and D (Recovery).

I have downloaded your PDF’s for PCLinuxOS Installation Guide,
PCLinuxOS Live CD Guide, PCLinuxOS User Guide.

I was searching Geeks To Go Forum, and found this suggestion for partitioning.
1. ? GB NTFS for Windows XP.
2. 2. ? GB FAT32 for all music, pictures documents (this way they can be accessed by both OSes and if one OS dies they're still salvageable and fairly safe from viruses)
3. 3.20 GB Ext3 for Linux
4. 4. 1GB Linux Swap (this acts as extra RAM)
I inserted ?’s because; this suggestion was for a smaller drive

I found these directions in PCLinuxOS Installation Guide
1. / (This is where the program files are installed).
2. /swap (This is the virtual memory)
3. /home (This is the same as My Documents in Windows. This is where you will want to

Cold someone please help me with the partitioning of this machine to add DuelBoot PCLinuxOS & XP?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi paganene and welcome to geeks to go,

I've dual booted for years and generally prefer to boot from separate hard drives but did also boot from a single drive on my laptop.
I left the restore partition in place then resized the XP partition to leave room for my linux install. Since Linux doesn't care if you use primary or logical I set the remainder of the drive up as an extended drive (logical) and partitioned the drive for the install.

I always set up drives prior to the install. I've found gParted very good at resizing and creating partitions and formatting. My personal choice for Linux is ext3.

Set up a root partition (/), I generally use 7 to 9 gigs.
For Swap I use equal to/double the RAM (usually at least 1gig)
Then you can use the remaining space You can partition as a home (/home).

Once installed to your system you can install Grub to the MBR and you should be up and going.

HTH