Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound!

• Please log in to reply

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I can't seem to get the sound to work on my computer. I have checked in BIOS and the speaker and system sound is turned on. There is one "Disabled Device" in my Device Manager. It was not set to "disable this Device", it doesn't seem to have any drivers installed for it and it doesn't give enough info to find the right one. This is the info I have:
Device type: Sound, Video, & Game Controller
Manufacturer: Crystal Semiconductor
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 7/1/2001
Driver version: 5.1.2535.0
Microsoft Windows Publisher

I tried Windows Update, but it didn't help.
My computer info is: Dell
Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 2
Pentium 2
128 MB of RAM

Does anyone know how I can get a proper updated driver and get my sound back?

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You need the model of your sound card.
You can download everest here and it will tell you the model of your sound card and then you can Google it or post the results here and we can help you find the best driver for it.
Let us know if you managed

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well... that was a neat program you directed me to, it was easier than I thought to figure out how to find the model of my sound card. I found out it was: Crystal Sound CS4236 Audio System
I found a driver at Driverguide.com the file name is: cwos2175.zip
That's all well and good, but I have no idea where to put the "stuff" that was in the zip file? I downloaded it to "My Downloads" and it unzipped into a folder in "My Downloads" called "Unzipped", but I don't know how to use it, or where to put it. I tried to upgrade my driver for that device and select that destination, but it's apparently not a folder that it will allow me to access in that way?
Do you know where I should put it so it will be recognized and accessed during driver upgrade?
Thanx again for that cool program..with the problems I've had with this PC, I wish I would have heard of it sooner.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You were doing it right, you just had the drivers for the wrong operating system.

This one if for Windows NT, but it *should* work for you (fingers crossed.) Keep us posted!

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The driver you downloaded is not for XP.
Here is a link to drivers guide and this is a driver for the sound card on xp.
It needs to extract to a floppy. I tried to install via the device manager and it recognized the file type.
C if this is the one.

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: WOW, what a day! I just want to say that I honestly tried to do everything I could think of to help myself, but I'm still lost! I downloaded the driver that vally directed me to first and managed to extract it to a floppy and was able to use it to upgrade my driver. It was nolonger listed as "Disabled Device", but it also still wasn't working. I checked in the Device Manager and this is what I found: "Resources" tab: The currently installed device driver does not support Plug and Play. Please configure the devices resources using the "Properties" tab.
So, I clicked on the prperties tab and it listed 4 devices with a little plus sign for each of them, which expanded to tell me:

Audio Devices- Crystal Ware Audio Driver
MIDI Devices & Instruments- Crystal Ware Audio Driver
Line Input Devices- Crystal Ware Audio Driver
Mixer Devices- Crystal Ware Audio Driver

The "Crystal Ware Audio Driver" was what it would show when you clicked the plus sign next to each device type. When I checked the properties for each of these, they were all the same. They all said: Status: Driver is enabled but has not been started.
The "Settings" for each one was the same too. There were four columns and you could only make changes to the one titled "Duplex", it was set at "Full" If I tried to change it, or if I clicked "OK" instead of "Cancel" it would pop up with a box that said "A configuration or hardware problem has occured. Please check hardware and system settings and try again."
After using help files and troubleshooting, I still couldn't figure out how to get it to work, so I restored it to the way it had been originally "Disabled Device", and tried the driver that ClickRight had directed me to. Once I found the missing .dll and .sys files (csbase.dll & csbase.sys) I upgraded with that driver, but then it really didn't work, it only listed one Device under the "Poperties" tab and it was for a joystick? So, I restored it again and upgraded with the first one again (from vally) and now I'm hoping you might know how to get it working??
Sorry if I've made this confusing!!

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I am sure that Dell has the drivers that you need. Just enter your Service Tag number and choose the driver that is listed. If you give your model number I can help find the drivers for you if you want.

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm not sure if it will matter, but it is an old Dell OptiPlex GX1, refurbished. The model number on the back is: DCM
I found a sticker with the service tag on it, I will see if it is valid (not sure if they would expire?).
I'll let you know how it goes.....

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Grrr! Some how, that got me NOWHERE!!! After two hours of downloading thier "Dell Support Center", I found nothing. The warrenty on my service tag very obviously expired so I had limited access and I turned up nothing in my search. I keep feeling so close, then poof...back to where I started! I can't believe that the company that makes the actual sound card doesn't make the drivers or manuals availible.
And the search goes on.............

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Tell me if you checked the bios?
Make sure the sound card is enabled and allso make sure the setting of plug and play is allso enabled.

Lets try something.
Goto start-> settings -> control panel -> Sound and audio device properties.
Hit the sound tab.
Click on one of the sounds in the window below - hit one that has a speaker next to it.
Now below that window there is a browse button and to the left of it there is a play button is it black now?
If it is black it means that the driver is prperly installed. and the problem is eather the audio out or the speekers.
Let us know what you found.

Advertisements

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok, hopefully this will not be confusing. I checked in BIOS and it says the speaker is on and the sound is on, but I can't figure out where it says anything about plug and play.
I checked in the control panel in sound and audio and when my speakers are turned on and I click on the play button it makes an awful sound similar to when you dial up to the internet only more like static. (it makes that sound for all selections) I have an old slower hard drive and I have repeatedly checked my speaker system on it to make sure it's not my speakers and they work fine on that hard drive.
When I check the properties of the sound card driver it still tells me that it does not support plug and play and that I need to configure the devices resources using the properties tab. It says that it is enabled, but has not been started.
I have still been searching for a driver specifically meant for win XP, but have not found one. They are all for Win NT, but *should* work for Win XP....but of course they don't.
I'm not sure if any of this helps?
I apologize for taking longer than usual to respond to this, but my kids were going to camp and I had to get all thier stuff ready and didn't use the computer for a couple of days.

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that I can hear my computer dial up to the internet, but that sound comes from the hard drive itself, not my speakers. That is the only sound it makes.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have a few questions to calrify what you posted. And to maybe get an idea of what to do.
1 - The Sounds that you hessrd were they from the speakers or the computer speaker?
2 - Are the speekers connected to the correct place?
Posted Image
(above the green)
3 - You mentioned that you connected it to "another hard drive" - do meen a different computer?
4 - if you got to here then lets try resetting the bios to its default settings. To do this enter the bios and hit 'ctrl + delete'

Here is link to a document that expains the bios a bit. (only if you are intrested)

What did you discoveer if anything?

Hope the kids got off O.K.

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The sound of my dial-up is coming from the computer's speaker.
I have my speakers connected above the green (audio out).
When I tested my speakers I did it on my old Compaq Presario.
I took a look at the link you gave me about BIOS, I have explored my BIOS quite a bit, but have been leary of chnging anything in the past. I hit Ctrl + Delete to reset to the defaults, but it didn't seem to do anything. Either the defaults hadn't been changed, or???
I just downloaded an upgrade for my BIOS from the Dell Support Center and extacted it to a floppy, thought I'd post this before installing it. Maybe it will help?
The kids are off at camp...well, 2 out of 3 anyway, it's been a quiet week. Thanx.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are these the drivers you got from member guide

http://search.dell.c...&...mp;x=10&y=9