Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

*System.hal.dll, Tryed Diffrent Commands & Nothing*

• Please log in to reply

PLukE

PLukE

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I left my PC downloading over night,Turn the screen on this morning to find that it was in DOS saying the System.hal.dll file is missing or currupt. I have looked on the site and some pages on the internet and tryed the commands and nothing.

I did the Check Disk (chkdsk) and it had some files in couldnt read.

So i thought OK, I put the harddrive in the other PC as a SLAVE it loaded up and i did a scan disk in Windows load up, it had LOADS of problems reading sectors. It said it was fixing them so just left it for 30mins. Came back and it was loaded in Windows, I check in My Computer to see if i could get into the harddrive which has the problem, But it just took ages opening and just timed out then it lost it. But the drive was making a noise which i have heard before when my others drives have had bad sectors the noise like (der der der der) if you catch me it sounds stuck. I have loads of stuff i need off there, So i need HELP!, If its buggered am gonna take the drive back and get a replacement as its only 7-8months old!.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!.

Big THANKS in advance!.

Luke

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Well, here in South Africa, if we fiddle with any of the stuff we bought or don't get a tachnician to install them and they fail, we have voided our warranty ... not to sure how it works over there but anyway

Your hard drive's clicking noise, is more than likely [maybe the more experienced can help me if i am wrong] but it sounds like it's had it's last days ... You didn't bump/drop it when you transported it from one pc to the other and vice versa? And let's be honest here so we don't go beating around the bush. Hard drives are very very sensitive

PLukE

PLukE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, didnt bang it or drop it, I have just done another check of the disk (chkdsk) and its working away fine. Its only when the drive is doing nothing it make the funny noise, Its not a clicking noise more of a working noise but does it in bursts like der....der....der . If you catch what am saying.

Also how can i get all the info off there?.

Luke

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
If the drive is fine, then why not put it on DVD? or onto the other pc if that drive is big enough

PLukE

PLukE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The drive isnt fine, The only drive that is fine is the one in the other PC.

Luke

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Alright, well, your hard drive is dead :whistling:

You have the choice of going to a professional data recovery agency or you can attempt to recover it yourself (though it is risky doing it yourself, you can do more harm than good.)

What you need is a new hard drive of the same or larger size, and a copy of a bootable disribution of linux with ddrescue. See here for more information.