Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Bootup Stuck at Loading Bar

• Please log in to reply

sunjo

sunjo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had my computer, which is an XP Professional SP2, for nearly a year and this has never happened until today. Last night, my computer randomly froze and wouldn't respond so I cut it off manually. When I tried to cut it back on, it would get stuck on the first Windows splash screen where the first loading bar is. The loading bar moves but it doesn't do anything. It just gets stuck there.

Then I tried restarting in Safe Mode but as soon as I hit enter for Safe Mode, this message: Multi(O)disk rdisk (O) partition (1) windows\system32\drivers spammed the entire screen and would get stuck. This occured for all three Safe Modes (normal, networking, and the command one).

So then I put in the XP recovery CD and ran that. Once I got to the blue screen where you could either press R for repair or Enter to reinstall XP, I hit enter. I got through the License Agreement page and got to the next one. Now on this page, it's suppose to read my Windows XP so it shows up in a small box below so I can choose that to repair, but it doesn't show up. Nothing shows up in the box. It says that it cannot read the disk in the drive. It's not reading either of my hard drives (I have two hard drives on RAID-0). Now since there is nothing I could highlight to select to repair, I just hit enter to try and install a new XP. After I pressed enter, I get a blue error screen saying that it cannot read or that there is an error with the file "setupdd.sys" along with that NO_PAGE error message.

So now I have no idea what to do. I can't load Windows in Safe Mode and I can't repair my XP. I can't even get to the reformat page so that is not an option. I really don't want to reformat anyway or lose any information in my hard drives. I have too many important files that I do not want to lose. If anyone has any solution or can help me in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Sounds like your had drive may have become a little corrupt after the abrupt shutdown. Start from your XP CD, but this time open the recovery console (Press R at the Prompt.)
When it opens, type:

chkdsk C: /f

Edited by ClickRight, 04 July 2007 - 01:26 PM.

sunjo

sunjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the chkdsk command and this message came up:
"The volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems."

I guess that means my hard drives cannot be fixed?

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I tried the chkdsk command and this message came up:
"The volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems."

I guess that means my hard drives cannot be fixed?

It *could* be a bad hard drive, but because of the situation, I would try running a chkdsk /r this time.

sunjo

sunjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I did chkdsk /r and it still says "The volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems." I don't understand why my hard drive would suddenly cause this problem. Everything has been working fine until last night.