Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What version of XP is needed?

• Please log in to reply

lynxafc

lynxafc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I'm pretty new to computers, I've only ever owned 1 PC and have just got around to buying a new computer with a AMD Athlon 64 4600+ sadly no operating system came with the computer and a friend has told me my version of XP won't work because it isn't the Windows XP Professional x64.

Question, Do I need ANOTHER copy of windows which is this x64 version or can I use my original version Which is Windows XP Professional?

He said if I tried to put my current version on it wouldn't work and may damage my computer (I don't know how) so haven't tried.

thanks

Steve

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You can put any version of XP you want on there, but if you use your old version, it will not activate with Microsoft because it breaches their EULA (end user license agreement.) This states that the copy you had on your old computer is only good for that specific computer. That being said, You can purchase either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of XP, but check to make sure that 64-bit drivers are available for your computer are available (either from the manufacturer's website or from the motherboard manufacturer's website (ask if you need help.))

Edited by ClickRight, 04 July 2007 - 05:52 PM.

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for a quick reply ClickRight, My computer is a Packard Bell 2589 but the shop I bought it from upgraded it alittle, they replaced the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with this AMD Athlon 64 4600+ and I believe a new video or graphics card has been put in. I found what the computer looks like on the PC World site http://www.pcworld.c...gory_oid=-27735

Mine however didn't come with a monitor. I have this disc with 'drivers' labeled on it so i'm not sure whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit.

As for the windows situation I wasn't aware it could only been put on 1 computer (even though this version of windows has been out awhile, sad I know) So I could buy either a 32-bit or 64-bit version?

I don't want to ask more questions but is there a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit?

Steve

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Is your old copy of Windows XP a Retail version or an OEM Version. A retail version will allow you to transfer to a new computer as long as it is uninstalled from the old one. The OEM version is only licensed for installing on one computer, you cannot legally transfer it to a new pc. As far as using the 32 bit version, there is no problem using it with the AMD 64 processors.

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes my copy of Windows XP is a retail copy. My old PC came with Windows ME. I'll look into buying a new copy anyway. Thanks for answering my questions so quickly.