Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing hard drive space

• Please log in to reply

radude210

radude210

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay, so i was just doing the regular stuff on my computer....cruise the internet, play some games, msn...the normal teenage things to do. Then suddenly out of nowhere comes a little bubble at the bottom of my screen warning me that there is low hard drive space, so i am thinking no...that can't be right i just free'd up a bunch of space the other day. To sum it up my hard drive is 250GB and until this point i had 120GB of free space, when i go to check how much i now have left (after coming across this random bubble) it says i have only MB left. So out of nowhere 120GB of my hard drive is gone! the only change up in my routine on the computer was that earlier that week i was cleaning it out to free up more space. Of course when i first got the bubble i did all my anti-spyware and virus checks but nothing came out of them, i have Norton system works and antivirus 2006 in addition to ad-aware for spyware. So my question is obviously what happened and how do i fix it? me and my dad have been baffled for weeks, any help would be gladly accepted! thanks for your time in reading all this :whistling:

Edit! and just to be clear i have gone in and checked my drive (looked at how much space each folder is using) and the whole computer doesn't even amount to 100BG of the 250GB.....yet i have 0 space left and defrag shows that its all full when i assure you its not.

Edited by radude210, 04 July 2007 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Welcome to GTG radude210! I don't know if I can help you for sure, but I'll ask a few questions and see if we can figure this out. When you said that you had cleaned your computer, did you use some kind of software to do that or just delete some files?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This happened to me recently, do you have a weird folder like this C:\1 ? I don't know what it was, but here's a link to my post on it.

radude210

radude210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
as i said above i use norton systemworks and anti-virus 2006. i also use ad-aware and regcure along with windows utilities like defrag and disk clean to clean up. the only file deleting i have done is uninstall games through add/remove programs in the control panel. no major file tampering or messing with windows files/the c drive... and i don`t have any new weird files or drives or folders... the only difference from my computer in a healthy state is that it says i have no hard drive space left when i can only account for less than 100GB in a 250GB hard drive. and this all happened suddenly, a mere hours before the initial problem bubble it was fine... it was shut off and when booted up again the problem arose. hope that info helps... ask more questions if needed and i'd be happy to answer