Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card for ~110 euro

• Please log in to reply

Bru:t

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oi, mates!

I'm looking for a PCI-E video card for about 100-120 euro. I was thinking about GeForce 8500GT but I've noticed that some of you don't think that this card is a good choice. So, could someone offer me something for gaming?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Martin - Bru:t

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there Bru:t, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Do you specifically want a DX10 card or would a DX9 card fit your bill? I'm not sure about euro, but if you could post a link to a website from your local country, we could check it out for you. Maybe also you could post what games you play so we can tailor it a bit better.

Cheers :whistling:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi there Bru:t, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Do you specifically want a DX10 card or would a DX9 card fit your bill? I'm not sure about euro, but if you could post a link to a website from your local country, we could check it out for you. Maybe also you could post what games you play so we can tailor it a bit better.

I don't really care about DX (of course, DX10 would be better, but I don't think that for this sum I can buy smth special =). I'd like to have ability to play new games (now my card doesn't have that frikin' Pixel Shader). The quality can be not very high :)http://www.fortakas....5&kid=88&pid=-1
Games - everything :blink: starting with text-based :help:, RPG, strategy, and going up to shooters.

In our currency it would be about 360 LTL -
http://www.fortakas....m...d=88&pid=-1
Sorry, no English version but I think you will understand everything without any problems (Price is "Kaina" ("Kaina I" and "Kaina II"))

Thanks & Cheers,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, from the link you provided, you should search for this card: NX76T256D-RH Gigabyte PCI-E Geforce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 128bit DVI, TV, Silent Pipe II, Retail, it says it's 365.00, this one looks about the best for your price range. (Did I get that right - you said about 360LTL?) Gigabyte make quality stuff.

Cheers.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Alright, from the link you provided, you should search for this card: NX76T256D-RH Gigabyte PCI-E Geforce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 128bit DVI, TV, Silent Pipe II, Retail, it says it's 365.00, this one looks about the best for your price range. (Did I get that right - you said about 360LTL?) Gigabyte make quality stuff.

Cheers.

Interesting. Why this? =) Wouldn't it be better to take smth with 512 MB for that price (just asking=)? Or it's all about DDR 2 / DDR 3?

Thank you for helping =)

Cheers,
Bru:t - Martin

Edited by Bru:t, 08 July 2007 - 08:04 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I personally think it's more about DDR2/3, I wouldn't bother buying a DDR2 card at all these days, especially considering DDR4 is out for graphics cards. I think it's the same with the new DX10 cards, you can buy a 320MB version and it will woop a 512DX9 card...

I personally have a very crappy Radeon 9550 and it has 256MB, but it's only DDR, really kills the performance potential...

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I personally think it's more about DDR2/3, I wouldn't bother buying a DDR2 card at all these days, especially considering DDR4 is out for graphics cards. I think it's the same with the new DX10 cards, you can buy a 320MB version and it will woop a 512DX9 card...

I personally have a very crappy Radeon 9550 and it has 256MB, but it's only DDR, really kills the performance potential...

=) Thank you very much for help! A bit newer games - here I come! :whistling:

Cheers,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You're welcome, hope it goes good for you. I might also point out you might need to check your graphics card power requirements to see if your PSU supplies enough juice. That seems to be the standard in this forum as we see a lot of people buying an "awesome new graphics card" to find it doesn't work like it should...

Any further questions about this, please ask and post links to your current PSU. Otherwise good luck! :whistling:

Edited by ruthandtroy, 09 July 2007 - 02:45 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

You're welcome, hope it goes good for you. I might also point out you might need to check your graphics card power requirements to see if your PSU supplies enough juice. That seems to be the standard in this forum as we see a lot of people buying an "awesome new graphics card" to find it doesn't work like it should...

Any further questions about this, please ask and post links to your current PSU. Otherwise good luck! :whistling:

Now about PSU. There is a sticker on it with some info:
SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
MODEL: ATX - 300W P4
Then smth about voltage, AC input, DC output.

Couldn't find any links in the internet about it, cause I don't know who made it.

Cheers,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okies there's a very good chance you could blow up your computer with that PSU, you will need to save your $$ a little more and invest in a quality PSU. Your graphics card will need more power than what that PSU would be able to provide. I will post again tomorrow when I have a little more time to research the power requirements of the card and find a suitable quality PSU. Can you please provide links for websites you are able to shop at?

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
So here I am again :)
Now I have a bit, but just a bit more in my pocket...

I need two things - Video card (PCI-E) and PSU.
I have - 200 euro. It's about 700 LTL

Video cards - http://www.gerakaina....php?cat_id=197
PSU - http://www.gerakaina...hp?cPath=85_300

Cheers,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Welcome back Bru:t!

So you didn't get one last time, eh? Well for around 700LTL, from that website, I would choose the following:

Power Supply - Antec True Power Trio 550W 380Lt

As for a graphics card, I can't really seem to find one on that website that I would recommend. I'm assuming the ones greyed out are unavailable, correct?

Can you please provide another link from which you can purchase?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
[bleep], now that's a supplier. I have only 700 LTL for both parts :)

http://www.fortakas....m...d=88&pid=-1

VGA cards nVidia - http://www.bms.lt/lt...sting/?cid=54;3
VGA cards ATI - http://www.bms.lt/lt...sting/?cid=53;3

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.bms.lt/lt.../view/?id=21087

About the best I can find, but I'm not sure about the brand-name, haven't heard of them before...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Just want to note something here, DDR2/3/4 makes little to no difference just like the size of RAM, it will start making slight differences as the resolution and/or amount of textures being processed goes up but thats about it.
James