Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop momentarly freezes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Hi, I have this laptop that freezes from time to time, no response from k/b or mouse and when playing music it skips. It only lasts 5-20 seconds each time and seems random, even if you're just playing music, it'll freeze. I have ran multiple scans to ensure there was no infections. I am not new to virus end of things, but not so bright on techy part of the equation.

Let me know what you need.

Advertisements

huston

huston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
llooks like you got a probme!

huston

huston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i am going to need to know how many donuts you ate last year?

huston

huston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
bump

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there,

Sounds like your box needs a little tune up, I'd run a registry cleaner - great program that gives you a free 30 day trial is tune up utilities available from: http://www.tuneup.com/

Before you go ahead and install it though - first get a copy of ccleaner from filehippo.com - great little tool for keeping random clutter off your pc. install with the recycle bin context menu option (that way when you right click your recycle bin you get the option to run ccleaner rather than empty recycle bin) - make sure all boxes except 'auto complete form history' are checked (this is your saved passwords list) and then analyze to see how much rubbish it's found - then run ccleaner. Install Tune Up - Restart.

Run a defrag - if you're still using the windows version - STOP. Much better free version at http://www.majorgeek....php?det=1207un install and run this then reboot.

In Tuneup - click the clean up and repair tab on the left, then tune up registry cleaner (on the right) and follow process through (take note that it'll ask you to check again) - Now restart

Once restarted, run tuneup again and this time click on the optimize and improve tab. Run the system optimizer (on the right) . When you're done restart again.

** BTW the reason for running the reg cleaner will become clear when you run it - You'll see just how many areas of your system it's checking for you - this program sorts out all kinds of errors on your pc and once you've gotten rid of this problem you can have a play around with it further - the optimize and improve tab is worth a look and if you spend some time with the customize tab you'll get a system much more set up to your own needs.

Have fun having a play with this - it will very likely get rid of the freeze issue that your having - if it's not this it'll be a driver error - either way let me know how it goes and i'll help further if needed.

Stevie

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Hello exparisstevie, thanks for replying. the link for the defrag program is broken, what is the name of it, I'll find her if you don't have a working link.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
There are a number of things that could cause this. Has the laptop always done this, or is it something recent? Does it happen all the time, or only when first powered on?

My advise is to keep an eye on the task manager (keep it open with the process using the largest CPU usage at the top) Use the computer and see if there's a specific program or process that's sucking back all your CPU power.

This could be as simple as a driver issue, or as complex as a hardware one but we'll get to the bottom of it :whistling:

Edit: I believe this was the application exparisstevie was talking about. I use Auslogics Disk Defrag personally--it's fast and seems to do the job.

Edited by ClickRight, 06 July 2007 - 03:10 PM.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there,

Sorry for delay. The defrag is called dklite (short for diskeeper lite) this is a free small home use version that is fast and is reliable.

You'll find it easily on major geeks - any further issues - give me a shout i'm around for most of the day.

Steve

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Update, problem is still ocuring randomly, there is no cpu spike that I can see, but then again, when the pc freezes, everything freezes. Happens quite often and is quite annoying. There is no obvious pattern at this time. Does it when it feels like it. Although it seems to do it once every 2 hrs. Not my PC so I couldn't tell you exactly when this problem started.
Ran CCleaner, AusLogic Defrag, Tune up Utilities, registry cleaned out among a few optimization I used with Tune-up.
Open to more suggestions. Thanx

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there,

OK, can you open up a run dialogue and then type msconfig and hit enter - once done click on the startup tab. click disable all and then put ticks back in antivirus and firewall apps - click apply and you'll be restarted.

On restart - put a tick in the box for the system config box and click ok.

Now hold down the windows key and press the pause/break key once - then click on the hardware tab and then device manager - can you post back with any issues on this screen - ie exclamation marks, question marks.....

You may find that simply pruning the startups may help - either way, let me know....

Stevie

Advertisements

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Hey exparisstevie, I've disabled everything in startups and there are no exclamation or question marks in the device manager and is still occuring.

I would imagine I would start by disabling one driver at a time here, but not quite sure of this.
I am now thinking there is a hardware problem??

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go ahead and download Memtest86 In my signature and burn the ISO using a ISO burner.

Give it a run overnight. Let me know if you get any errors.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Hey tuxmaster, how's the training going? I'll be joining you coming September, once this malware thing comes naturally. LOL

Anyhow, I ran Windows Diagnostics as I had a CD and had no more to burn mem-test. Ran it 12 hrs, no errors, yes, it's still acting up.
What else you got? :whistling:

Cheers!!!

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Check to see if DMA mode is enabled on your hard drive:

1) Open the Control Panel
2) Double click System
3) Click the Hardware Tab
4) Click on Device Manager
5) Click the "+" next to IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers
6) Double-Click on the Primary IDE Channel
7) Click on Advanced Settings
8) Check the Current Transfer Mode. Lut us know if anything says PIO.
9) Repeat steps 6-8 for the remaining controllers.

Let us know if anything says PIO.

Edit: What is the make and model of this laptop?

Edited by ClickRight, 14 July 2007 - 06:25 PM.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
All set to DMA. I'ts a Acer Aspire 9300-5024 laptop.