Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown drivers ext. hard drive, windows xp

• Please log in to reply

killmytrojans

killmytrojans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
If anyone can help me i would much appreciate it.

I had a major problem with my computer, (would not boot) error when windows started up

so since then i have bought a new hard drive and an external enclosure

The new hard drive is great and i have just installed windows on it

however i am trying to transfer some of the data from my old hard drive (that is now in a usb 2.0 enclosure)

When doing so, the enclosure maker said that with xp you do not need to use a driver cd

However with, or without the driver cd windows cannot recognise it.

In device manager there is a yellow question mark, and next to it it says multimedia audio controller im not quite sure why, but im pretty certain this is the ext. hard drive.

Any suggestions would be great,
As soon as possible please, (i'm freaking out)
Thanks to everyone
JJ

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the drive in the enclosure correctly? have y ou read the manual as to how you should jumper the drive? some require it to be master, some require slave, and some require CS....

killmytrojans

killmytrojans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply,
I'm pretty sure that the drive is in correctly, otherwise it surely would not even come up at all? is this a good conclusion, is there any test i can run?

I am now using my laptop, again

i put the drive into slave mode, now it installs completely and correctly but then, when i look in device manager (btw its under universal serial bus controllers and view its properties it says This device cannot start. (Code 10)
anybody had any experience with this?
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated?
Thanks,
JJ

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the drive have a power switch on it? if so...try restarting your computer with the drive off....then once you're all the way into windows turn the drive on and see if it detects it

killmytrojans

killmytrojans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Already tried that no luck!!!
Any other suggestions??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to move the enclosure to a usb port in the laptop. let us know what happens.

killmytrojans

killmytrojans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
do you mean plug the ext. hard drive in2 the usb port in my laptop coz ive already tried that

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you install the enclusure to another computer, which is known to be good, and it doesn't work there, there are three options:

1: The enclosure is defective. By this I include the power supply.

2: The hard disk is not installed properly inside the enclosure.

3: The hard disk is defective.

You don't need any drivers to run this component. Only if you inastall a new hard disk inside the enclosure you have to format it first in "Disk Management"

I suggest that you reinstall the old hard disk back in the computer to make sure that it works well. If it does, re-enter it into the enclosure, double check the connections and the power supply. Try all the options of jumpering. If it doesn't work then I would conclude that something is wrong with the enclosure.