Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why are some games running so bad?

• Please log in to reply

vividori

vividori

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey there.

I'm intrested in finding out why my computer would be running so badly when playing certain games..

I play alot of WoW but I've been picking up back into competitive Counter Strike and such, but when I play CSS, or most any high - end game on source, or games like BF2, BF2142, etc, my frame rate is complete crap and makes the game almost unplayable

I've got 1gb of RAM, an AMD 64 3800+ and duel sli 7800 GT's

My friends with similar computer get like 150-200 frames per second in these kind of games and im sitting at 15-30..

Hope you can help me out! o_O

EDIT: I dont know if it's graphical lag, but I seem to get a sort of 'tearing' across my screen in Steam "Source" games, a quick flash thin line from one side of the screen to the next..

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

EDIT: I dont know if it's graphical lag, but I seem to get a sort of 'tearing' across my screen in Steam "Source" games, a quick flash thin line from one side of the screen to the next..

Vertical sycronization or Vsync is supossed to prevent that. How simular is your friends computer? Same CPU? Same GPU? Did he overclock? Do you overclock?

That rig definatly should be pumping out more FPS than that. What brand/wattage is your PSU? How much memory/CPU usage is going on while your system is idle? Do you close out all your programs (especially your A/V) before starting a game?

vividori

vividori

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure how to check all of that stuff, any ideas?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your power supply's wattage and brand should be written on the side of the unit. To check your CPU/memory usage simply hit CTRL+ALT+DEL. If you are running Vista then you will need to select "Task Manager". Click the "performance" tab. This will tell you your memory usage in a mostly idle situation. CPU usage is listed at the bottom.

Do you scan your computer for malware regularly?

vividori

vividori

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I run alot of anti-virus stuff daily. I defrag weekly.

I'm not on my home computer right now, but I'll post my power supply info asap. Thanks for the dedication to help :whistling:

The ctrl alt del thing - CPU Usage at the bottom of the screen says 100%..

Which one should I be looking at?

Edited by vividori, 05 July 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Without any major applications open your CPU usage shouldn't hit over 10. In many cases this is caused by malware. In your case I think it's from having either more than one real-time anti-virus or more than one real-time anti-spyware. With the memory you should be looking at "physical".

vividori

vividori

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Heh. I had Unreal Tournament 2k4 open when I posted that, I have nothing open right now and it's at 1% :whistling: As for the power supply, I don't see any information posted on it

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you build your PC yourself or was it a pre-built? I am suspecting that your power supply is not fully powering your video cards.