Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OutLook Express address book

• Please log in to reply

robertk

robertk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Windows 98. Outlook Express is my main email, periodically new names are added to my address book. These are names I HAVE received email from but I have not added them to the address book. I can find no rhyme or reason why the names are added. What can I do to prevent this? It is not all the names I receive email from, just some.

N

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are these emails you may have replied to? If so, check Tools menu, on the Send tab and see if box is checked for "Automatically put people I reply to in my Address Book". Uncheck box and click OK button. You shouldn't have to restart OE for this to take effect, but it never hurts to do so.

Ron

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey, I believe that was it. I unchecked that box. I sat on hold with EarthLink support for over 15 minutes, they never did come up with an answer. I figured Geeks would have a simple fix. Thanks.

N

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Hope that was the solution, but you should know if it quits putting new names in your Address Book. Thanks for using GTG.

Ron

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Now something else has happened in Outlook Express. When I hit REPLY and the email I received comes up, the message the sender sent is no longer in the body. The body area is totally blank. I must have hit something when I went into the Address Book.

N

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I wrote too soon. I found the answer, going backwards from your previous instruction. Somehow, I must have unchecked a box '"include message in Reply". Thanks again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It happens. Glad yo found it on your own. You're welcome again. :whistling:

Ron