Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes, Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply

sb2906

sb2906

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I run a very basic system:
Asus P5LD2 MQ (Built in Intel 8294G Chipset Graphics, & Intel Pro 1000 Network point)
Intel Pentium D 2.66Ghz
2Gb Kingston RAM (PC2 4200)
M Audio Delta 1010 soundcard
Samsung 26Gb SATA drive
HP 940D DVD RW

All I want to do is make my music, and connect to the internet.
My HDD is new, and I installed Windows XP SP2, and then the relevant drivers for my Hardware. - I get constant freezing of the OS, and a hard boot is the only fix. I was experiencing this before I replaced the hard drive - but not quite as much.

I have tried uninstalling drivers & hardware, but it is still happenning.

My RAM is quite new, and has never caused me a problem before. I have run Memtest86 for around 6 hours and had no errors - only passes. I have also purchased a new stick of Kingston RAM - just to be sure but it has made no difference.

I have alos tried disabling all services, and then enabling them one by one. - It does not give me this problem until all of my needed services are fullyenabled again - so I can't identify which - if any - is giveing me the problem.

The PC runs perfectly well in safe mode with networking, which leads me to believe it's not the PSU.

Please help before this drives me insane!!

Thanks

SB

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Administrative tools in control panel and open Event Viewer. Open each of the menus (applications, system etc.) and see if there is an error (marked with red) which shows often. Double click on the error and tell us what you see in Description.

Read the following and create a report. How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XI using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which you do not need to test. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report items which did not pass the test successfully.

sb2906

sb2906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks - Skeptic... I'll let you know how it goes.