Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High pitched whine

• Please log in to reply

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Like the title says, im getting a high pitched whine right when i press the power button, i have reaseted and tried different slots for the ram and i have made sure everything is connected, could it possibly be the graphics card that is making this problem?
Or maybe its a fan? o and i read the pinned message to no avail. pleas help!

o and i forgot to say i have 2 sticks of paired corsair 1GB ram

Edited by Pyro636, 05 July 2007 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. This is most likely a fan. Put your ear up to your case as it is running to try and pin point atleast the general area of the noise. Look around and make sure there are no wires in the paths of your fans.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Pyro636, does this noise happen all the time when your computer is on, or does it die away after a little while? For how long has this noise been happening? Did anything happen to the computer recently that made it start?

I once had a fan that made a funny noise, my wife told me about it because I have hearing loss and couldn't hear it. I replaced EVERY fan and she kept telling me "It's still making that funny noise" so I eventually gave up. A few months later the power supply died, and the new one didn't make the funny noise, I had forgotten that PSU's have fans...

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well its a new computer i just built so i dont think anything is dying, and i was too afraid to keep it on for too long to see if it dies away. Nothing comes p on the monitor either.

EDIT: its definitely the graphics card. not the fan on it either. It looks kind of like it cant go in all the way on the left side near the back of the case. Could this be the problem or do i need a new gfx card?

Edited by Pyro636, 06 July 2007 - 07:01 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So you are also not getting POST (power on self test). This comes from the bios. Are you sure the whining is not a beep code?

Please confirm No POST.

EDIT: I missed your edit. The graphics card is your problem. You need to get it seated. There might be a problem with the slot.

Edited by 123Runner, 06 July 2007 - 07:22 AM.

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im not exactly sure what you mean by post but as soon as i power on the whine starts. And no im not sure the whining isnt a beep code cuz when i take the card out and power up everything is normal.

and i tried different slots as well. Plus while it lloks like the last little input will not go in, i cant push it down any further.

Edited by Pyro636, 06 July 2007 - 08:00 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok, to clarify, with the card out, you can boot into windows.
With the card in (partially) you get the whine.

Stupid question, but need to know. Is the graphics card the right 1 for the slot?
There are AGP, PCI, and PCI-e. The slots are all different.
What type og card do you have?
What is the make and model number of the mother board?
We need to check that out.

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i got the whine fixed guys/ turns out there was a power slot that i needed to connect to the psu and the whining didnt happen. I still cannot get any signal on my monitor though.
everything else is fine just cant get any picture to come up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I still cannot get any signal on my monitor though.

this is probably because you don't have the right graphics card for your PC...or you're not putting it in right

Stupid question, but need to know. Is the graphics card the right 1 for the slot?
There are AGP, PCI, and PCI-e. The slots are all different.
What type og card do you have?
What is the make and model number of the mother board?
We need to check that out.

answer those questions

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card i have it in the pci-e slot

its in a MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Does your board have intergrated graphics? Have you tried w/o the graphics card?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just to add to all these questions, what kind of PSU do you have?
James

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no onboard video and its a APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W Power Supply With 3-Color LED Lights 115/230 V CB IEC 950, TUV EN 60950, UL 1950, CSA 950

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you post a link for that PSU?

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148028