Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacBook

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It's pretty straight forward...

What are the pros/cons of a macbook? I'll start with it...

Con: more expensive than windows laptop in general

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
there is lots of info out there on this do a Google search and see what you come up with :whistling:

MacBook Pro and cons

In many respects the MacBook Pro is a great machine, just the kind of evolutionary step forward the PowerBook needed.

See Pro and cons Here

MacBook Pro-Dell comparison

Dell provides you with many more customization options, including the ability to remove features you don’t need in order to lower the price, so it’s definitely possible to configure a Dell less expensively.

See compairson Here

Apple's new MacBook impresses

The MacBooks can run Microsoft's operating system, using either Apple software Boot Camp or the beta of the Parallels Workstation program.
Mac fans may wonder why anyone would want to run Windows.
But this may be enough to win over those who have hesitated before due to worries about whether a specific program would run on a Mac.
However, a word of warning to gamers. The MacBooks may be able to run Windows, but it will have trouble coping with some of the latest PC titles.

See review Here

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
CON - it's an apple
CON - No left click
CON - It's an apple

Pro-...can't think of one

(not a big apple fan...can you tell?)

cuzant

cuzant

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
i did pick up a hint or two about that

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh yeah...to buy one you have to go into a MAC store.....i'm convinced that if dante had written "the inferno" in modern times...a MAC store would have replaced at least one of the levels of [bleep]...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Pros:
1) With the new Intel versions and Bootcamp (or Parallels), you can now run Windows (including Vista) on a MAC. With a Windows license of course

2) The Intel MacBooks are competitively priced with PC notebooks. MacBookPro, not so much. :whistling:

3) Macs are nice notebooks. Thin, light, nice size screen (I like the 13"). Nice keyboard. Apple manufactures nice hardware.

4) OSX, it's a nice operating system. For the most part free from malware, viruses, trojans, etc.

5) Comes with a nice package of standard software.

Cons:
1) Additional software is limited, and expensive (for OSX).

2) Game choices are very limited for (OSX).

3) PC hardware isn't always compatible, MAC specific peripherals are expensive.

4) Heat. Recent Macbooks run hot. You do not want to use them on your lap. The latest models are supposed to be improved, but I haven't tried one.

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
That's why I've been trying to install mac on a windows desktop to get a feel of how good mac is. But apparently, you cant install mac on a windows desktop...?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you could run OSX in a virtual machine with VMWare....

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
hmm can I just run with the free VMware Server?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Should do, if you have a newer intel machine it will work but its been a while since i looked into it, do some research, however the legality of it is a little iffy.

Not much of a mac fan personally, the smaller ones look good but generally they are all pretty flimsy from the models ive used, if i am paying that much for a lapper i expect a little more and the compatibility bugs me too, im not as keen on the OS if im not using windows, unix or linux is my preferred OS OSX has none of the programs i need available.

To me they arent worth the hassle and are still in my books yuppy computers, give me an Acer, Dell or Lenovo any day of the week.

Edited by warriorscot, 24 July 2007 - 07:16 PM.

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well, I check the dvd today that it's Darwin x86 (5.0.132) released by Apple. [newer one = 6.0.2]

I give it a try on VMware Server Console but it's still no use. It is the same as if I run the installation without vmware. The apple circle just stayed there like forever. I think I probably did something wrong. Can someone please guide me?

Edited by PANCAK3, 24 July 2007 - 09:46 PM.