Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

renaming operating systems at boot

• Please log in to reply

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just created several partitions on a hard drive that i use for different purposes. However, they are all Windows xp home edition. So when i start the computer, and it asks me to select an operating system to use, all 3 say Windows XP home edition, and i do not know which one to pick!

Is there any way to rename them?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It is generally the first choice.
What you are telling us is that you have 3 operating systems, all are XP home. Was that a mistake to put 3 on, or is there a reason. Just curious.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
log in to any of the three instances of windows, click on start, then run, then type in c:\boot.ini this will open the boot.ini file

looks something like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /TUTag=0IFPCE /NoExecute=OptOut

you should have three lines where it says
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /TUTag=0IFPCE /NoExecute=OptOut
or something to that effect...change the "Microsoft Windows XP Home" lines to read "Microsoft Windows XP Home 1" then 2 then 3...or however you would like to name them...that secdion (within the quotes in that line) is where the label for the OS is....then save that file and reboot...now in the boot menu you should see 1 2 and 3

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much! Exactly what i wanted.