Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Failure, now Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply

crispy

crispy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
The power went off in my house while my computer was running a malware scan. Now, Windows won't start. I get a screen that says
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose 'last known good configuration' to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arent' sure what caused the problem, choose 'start windows normally'.
SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY

Well, I tried to start with each and every one of these, and I just keep getting back to this screen, and windows will not start for me. On 'Safe Mode' I get the following running error:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers...

a bunch of time, with different drivers listed.

HELP ME. I'M DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the last driver that shows up in that list of drivers?

do you have an onboard video card (part of the motherboard)? and expansion video card (not part of the motherboard)? or both?

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't know which kind of video card, but it's probably on-board, since it came with the computer.
I'm running a scan right now, so I'll get the driver for you in about 5 minutes, but the scan is coming back with one error so far
Error code 0F00:0244
Msg - Block 33543048; uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
Again, there were about 20 drivers listed on the screen, and I'll get you the last one in a few minutes.
Thanks,

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Another error code on the scan
0F00:1A44
Msg - Bock 33543048

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what scan is this? did you run chkdsk?

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I ran the Dell Resource CD scan.

The last driver on the error memo was agp440.sys

What should I do now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
those errors are suggesting that there are corrupted sectors on your hard drive (not a good thing)

look at the back of your computer.....do you plug your monitor in up near where the power cord plugs in...or down near the bottom of the case (the top area would be near your printer port, mouse ports, etc... and the bottom area is the area where you can punch out parts of your case to put extra cards in)

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I can't tell. it's hidden behind the desk.
I just ran repair on my reinstall cd and ran chkdsk and fixboot
The computer is now booting
I'm checking my applications to see if they're all there.
Is there something I should do to clean this up? Or to be able to ignore the bad sectors on boot?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if there are sectors going bad..it's generally a sign that the hard drive is in a bad state and might be on it's way out...you MIGHT wanna see about getting a new hard drive and backing up any important info...like music, pictures, stuff like that

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
But, don't you think that this just happened because of the power going out while running a scan? If that was the case, then might it just be a sector that got damaged, instead of the drive actually going bad?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...it's thoroughly possible that that is the case...but...do you wanna risk losing anything important off the PC? if you don't have anything on the PC that you care to keep...then sure don't worry about it if there's one or two corrupted sectors....if the repair of your OS fixes the boot issues (which it might if it replaced something that got lost due to corruption) then you shouldn't see the errors until/unless the corruption starts to spread around the drive (sometimes happens)

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay, so a week went by, and there were a few errors, but this morning on boot, the system automatically did a chkdsk and came up with an error message something like (NTFS - The volume is dirty. Deleting corrupt attribute record from file record) and then something about Quicktime. So, I decided to take your advice and back up my system.

Now, the new problem. While trying to back up with windows backup (in accessories), I received various error messages which concluded with "Could not access portions of directory System State\Registry. You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be missing or damaged. Critical files that make up System State were not successfully backed up. Restoring this backup set will cause system failure. The operation was ended."

So, this sounds pretty bad to me. I get the feeling that I need a new hard drive, but what do I do about backing up my system/applications, etc.? I think I need some more advice!

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Oh, and here's my hijack this log:
Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you logged on as THE administrator or at the very least AN administrator?

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
yes, logged on as the administrator