Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC startup in a loop, unable to login

• Please log in to reply

huston

huston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello, i am having trouble with my laptop, when i turn it on, it says go into safemode or start normally, if i choose start normally it scans the disk then goes back to the menu that says "go into safemode or start normally", if i go into safemode, it stops at agpcpq.sys .

any combination to get in, doesn't work.

i called the tech support for my laptop and she said 'the pc is stuck in a loop, it can be caused from improper shutting down of the pc'

i believe her because power went out last night , and i guess thats the case?

i have windows XP media center
i have an acer computer
model: aspire 9400

ps; i cant just reformat because i need to backup databases on the laptop for my webhosting company, so i need a way to either fix the problem or get into the pc temporarily to backup databases to my flashdrive

ps2; if there is a way i can transfer my information TO MY OTHER laptop, please say.
i also have a desktops i could transfer to.

thanks if you can help. if you can help i can certainly give you a promotional code for webhosting
i dont know if advertising allowed here but just email me if you want it, its big hosting company.

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there and welcome to geekstogo.....

The first and most important question is - did your laptop come with an XP install disk? - If it did you are not in bad shape at all. Should you have this all you'll need do is:

Configure your computer to boot from the disk drive. To do this you'll need to boot into bios (watch the screen at boot up - you'll be told which key to press to get into bios settings - usually F2, sometimes Esc, Del, F10, F1) once in your bios settings - change the boot order to boot from cd first, now save settings and exit - Please note it is not recommended to change any other settings while you're here.

Insert your Windows XP disk into your drive and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP Disk.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do NOT select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

** This will leave your files intact. Mostly your settings too. I'd recommend a few other bits for your laptop once you get logged on again, let me know if you need any further help and indeed that you've gotten back on so that we can get some prevention against future issues.**

Have fun,

Steve