Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do these computer parts work?

• Please log in to reply

kashie

kashie

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, my name is Aakash, and I thought building computers would be a fun hobby. I recently started building a Desktop Computer for myself.

These are the Components I have so far to put together this computer:

Case: 11-Bay ATX Transparent Plastic Computer Case w/3 LED Fans - bought

Case Link

MotherBoard: Tyan Tiger i7501R Intel E7501 Dual Xeon Socket 604 ATX MB - bought

Motherboard Link

Processor: Suggestions

RAM: Suggestions

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB AGP Video Card with DVI TV-Out - not bought

Video Card Link

Hard Drive: Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA/300 Hard Drive

Hard Drive Link

DVD/CD ROM Drive: Suggestions

Sound Card: Acor CMI8738 6-Channel PCI Sound Card

Sound Card Link

Operating System: Window XP Home Edition SP2 (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista!?!?

Monitor: 20.1 inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor

Keyboard, Mouse - WIRELESS
Speakers: Buying on own

These are the Components I put together so far. I only bought 2 components out of the rest which is the case and the motherboard. I dont know what power supply to use, 450 watts or above 500 watts, please let me know.

Please give me some suggestions, Thank you

-Kashie

Edited by kashie, 06 July 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
any suggestions?

I figured for ram that I should put a kingston 2 gb DDR RAM..but its going to be either 4 = 512 mb kingston ddr ram chip or 6= 256 mb kingston ddr ram chip...either one of those is fine cuz it equals to 2 gbs..

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Could you let us know what you would be using the PC for mostly?

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm prolly using this pc for normal things like instant messenging and myspace, a little photo editting here and there, hw, u know the usual..but i still want it to be fast

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It looks like your motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot, but you have suggested getting an AGP video card, so that won't work. The motherboard already has onboard graphics, and seeing as you haven't mentioned you want it for gaming, the onboard graphics should be just fine.

For the processor(s), you only have the option of Xeon Socket 604.

You also have suggested a SATA 300MB/s hard drive, but the motherboard only supports 150MB/s, so it's going to give you a performance hit. It will still work (my setup currently uses this), but it's just going to be slower than the potential of the hard drive.

You want this system to be fast, but you're stuck using ultra-slow (like 200 or 266) DDR RAM, not good considering DDR3 is on its way in now... 2GB is good, but I think you'll find 1GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM will woop 2GB of 266MHz DDR RAM.

As for an optical drive, DVD burners are the minimum now, they are also pretty cheap, so get one of those. From your website, this one looks the way to go, don't bother with a no-brand name or a refurbished one, you're just asking for trouble.

As for your OS, you could do all of those things for free with a linux distro... But if you need windows, then go with Vista Home Premium. Unless you specifically have a need for XP Home...

For a power supply, I would suggest a minimum 500W, but make sure you buy a quality brand, you should be prepared to spend quite a bit on your PSU. Without a strong, reliable power source, your computer will only make a good doorstop.

But in all seriousness, why do you need a server motherboard? It looks like it's going to kill the performance of your system, and I personally haven't heard of that brand before.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
what motherboard should i go with?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here is my minimum recommendation:

One that supports DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz
For an Intel processor, one that supports Intel Core 2 Duo (Socket LGA775)
For an AMD processor, one that supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 (Socket AM2)
One PCI-Express slot for a graphics card, needed for gaming. If you don't game at all then make sure the motherboard has onboard graphics.
One that supports SATA @ 3Gb/s
One that has onboard audio.
One that has fast ethernet, preferably gigabit.
ATX form factor is good.

This link takes you to an a good Gigabyte example, using the Intel processor route. This board has onboard graphics.

If you're stuck with the motherboard, then that's too bad, but if you can return it and get your money back (or a credit) then that would be better.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, I mite return the motherboard and get the GIGABYTE, It looks more appealing and it looks way better

Edited by kashie, 08 July 2007 - 01:05 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't forget it was just a suggestion, and a minimum at that. There are plenty of other boards out there. For the whole system, what's your budget? That way we could get a whole picture for you.

Oh and by they way, in your second post, 4 x 512 does equal 2GB, but 6 x 256 does not, you would need 8. Just a note, but not relevant as you are thinking about getting another board :whistling:

EDIT: what I meant to say was have a look around at the different boards on websites such as www.newegg.com and see what takes your fancy. Search for better deals on prices and on different specs. It's always good to learn a bit about what you are doing, especially as you have decided to take this up as your hobby. Yes I agree, it is a very fun hobby... (just a little expensive!)

Edited by ruthandtroy, 08 July 2007 - 02:22 AM.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i mean me and my friend are going into the business what building computers and upgrading them. all the stuff with electronics.... i mean my budget isnt much unless the motherboard itself is like below 200$ but better if its below 150$, but its good quality

Advertisements

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
http://www.geeks.com...O...-DT&cpc=SCH

would that be a good choice?

like is der anything that is a little bit better, or the same at a lower price then gigabyte your recommended

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't believe that's a good choice, no. It uses an older chipset, doesn't support 800MHz RAM (I think it does 667, though) and only has fast ethernet. For the price I believe you can get much better value. I really am not impressed with the website you link to, they do not have a very wide range of products. On top of that, they sell refurbished items, which I personally wouldn't look at buying EVER. I believe you can get better options elsewhere. If you are looking for a motherboard around the $100 mark, then the one I suggested is a little bit over that price but I believe it would be worth it. Once again, don't just rush out and buy it, but have a look at the specs it has, compare with others, look around and learn all that you can. If you are turning this into your business I strongly suggest that you spend a few weeks learning all that you can before starting. You really need to know "everything about everything" to be able to compete in this industry.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no, its not that i dont know alot, cuz i really do, but I just want this to be a really good computer, cuz its not just for me, its mostly for my girlfriend, and she just use it for like myspace, chatting, hw, and all that stuff, i just use it to research stuff... I mean can you recommend a good motherboard?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Depending on your budget, the one I recommended already would be a good choice. If you want it cheaper, let me know your max budget for the motherboard and I'll look around.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2839

I found that one, that looks like a good one to me, How do you feel about it?