Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do these computer parts work?

• Please log in to reply

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I need help finding a really good motherboard, under 100$, but if its like 10-20$ more then its fine, it has to have USB 2.0, a good graphix and sound card on it, has to support ddr2 Ram (240-pins), has to have a good processor support like AMD Athlon X2 or whatever sounds really good? something like that

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I highly recommend no one build till the end of July.
AMD is cutting prices, they are mostly already in effect, though I'd let the market settle. Intel is slashing prices on the 22nd of July.
For a motherboard I also recommend waiting if your going the AMD route as AM2+ is just around the corner and will be supporting the new processors which will be introduced at the end of the month.
If you go the Intel route, go with P35 or the soon to be released G33 (it's a buiness motherboard). The reason why I suggest the G33, is because it'll have all you need, you arn't running any graphical intensive programs, just browsing, meaning intergraded audio and video will be more then enough.
You'd be lucky to find USB 1.1 on the market, in other words, getting USB 2.0 will be no problem.
As far as suggestions go, ram at 667MHz will be more then enough.

If you would like more for your money I highly recommend you wait till the end of the month, quad core processors will be going for less then 300$ for starters.....
Last but not least, can you offer a concrete budget so that we can better support your needs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 July 2007 - 01:03 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
james brings up a good point here also, with new prices going cheaper and he's recommending the latest boards, but if you really can't afford the latest and aren't too worried about future upgrades, then the cheaper ones will go cheaper again anyway, so it would be a good idea to wait.

By the way, the choice you have posted above is starting to look much better, it seems to have much better specs than the other ones you have posted.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
im sorry that i'm asking to much, im just a little bit confused, but can you give me a list of what I should put in?

Motherboard: AMD 2 +
HardDrive:
SoundCard:
Graphix Card:
Fans:
Heatsink:
Power Supply: Echo Star 680 Watts
and the rest of it...

I have the case, that transparent one

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That power supply will be overkill, 600W will be plenty.
The PSU you chose is once again a random brand, try brands such as these for greater reliability.
PC P&C
Silverstone
Enermax
Antec
Mushin

AM2+ is the chipset not the motehrboard name, it confusing I know. If you need me to clarify on this just let me know. Also you won't need a graphics card, unless we cannot find a motherboard which will have a graphics card. Onboard audio is standard today, so I can guarrentee that you will not need to buy one. The heatsink will come with the CPU, so unless you plan on overclocking (a method used to achieve faster performance out of a CPU, but at the cost of shorter lifespan and risk). As for a hard drive, 320GB is about the sweet spot right now.
As for a DVD drive you can get just about anything, IDE will be fine.
Be sure the hard drive is SATA 3.0GB/s.
If you want me just to flat out post out a build I can do this later when I have a bit more time on my hands.
Last but certainly not least, do you plan on accepting my advice and building at the end of the month or do you can to continue and buy now?
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 July 2007 - 03:48 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

im sorry that i'm asking to much, im just a little bit confused, but can you give me a list of what I should put in?

Never never never!!! Please keep asking, this is what we enjoy doing. Just make sure you have it in mind to learn all you can, take everything we say and then do your own research to compare. For example, the brands of PSU james has mentioned above are extremely excellent quality, you will find they are expensive. There might be a cheaper and still quality brand (such as ThermalTake) that will do the job. Again, research it yourself. The reason we mention to use top-quality PSU's is that without power, your computer will only make a good doorstop. I personally have had generic PSU's fail time and again on me :blink: . I currently have one myself, it's lasted the longest so far, but now that I have been enlightened from these forums, I won't bother next time...

And don't forget to add RAM to your list.

Cheers :whistling:

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yea can u just flat out post a build, I most likely will get all the parts you that u will list, and get them at the end of the month, i have no rush to build this..if its 600 watt power supply, what would be a good brand, but is less expensive?, oh and believe me, am I learning this, like i learned more in like 1 week then i did in 1 month..lol

Edited by kashie, 11 July 2007 - 08:30 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Budget?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

oh and believe me, am I learning this, like i learned more in like 1 week then i did in 1 month..lol

Man I love this forum... :whistling:

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i mean the motherboard should be atleast like 100$ or even 10$ or even 20$ more thats it

anything else is fine under 200$, maybe even under 150$

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Maybe a total budget for the whole system? Add that up for us and compare to your wallet :whistling:

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i mean the motherboard would probably have an onboard graphix and sound card, i mean prolly less then 500$ if possible, if not then less then 1000$

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So if we take an average of that, at $500 you won't be getting much of a system, but at $1000 you could be getting really good, so we'll recommend a system within the $700 range.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yea thats fine, between $700-$800 is good, if its over a little 800 like $820 the highest is good

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you have a OS, monitor, mouse, keyboard? Or do you need everything.
James