Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do these computer parts work?

• Please log in to reply

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
For the OS, I was thinking about Windows Vista Premium Or Ultimate, which one do you perfer out of the two?

The monitor, mouse, and keyboard

I'm getting like a 19" LCD Monitor, which brand, you may ask? does it really matter? lol

For the mouse and keyboard i prolly get on my own, mostly wireless, cuz my gf wants it, haha...what wireless do you suggest for a keyboard and mouse?

Advertisements

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i didnt realize that the AMD2+ is a quad core processor, do I really need it, if my gf is just going to surf through myspace, and chat, and upload pictures and what not?

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i dont think imma wait for the new amd phenoms, like idk what i want anymore..lol, i mean no offense to the new versions and stuff, but i mean what motherboard should i get..like the gigabyte u suggested b4 looked really good..but like this computer is basically going to be used for basic stuff like surfing myspace, chatting, photo editting, music all the usual, i want it to be a good performance computer..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

i didnt realize that the AMD2+ is a quad core processor, do I really need it, if my gf is just going to surf through myspace, and chat, and upload pictures and what not?

You would only need a basic system for this, really. You could look at a cheaper budget then, possibly. We'll wait until James makes some suggestions first.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
oh alright, well i was just looking through some gigabyte motherboards and found some interesting ones, just want your suggestions on which one i should go with...

Gigabyte motherboard Link

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R Intel Socket 775

Gigabyte M61VME-S2 NVIDIA Socket AM2 MicroATX

I was thinking about the 3rd one cuz it looks really good

Edited by kashie, 12 July 2007 - 11:20 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For the reasons you are wanting a computer, that third one will probably be alright. The first one you have mentioned is pretty dodgy, I should think you would know better by now... :whistling:

The second one is absolutely awesome, and probably a bit of overkill, but if you can afford it, go that one!

Say if we went with that third example, then the next thing you would do is find an AM2 socket processor. As for your OS, Vista Home Premium is the way to go. And for your monitor, yes brand matters!!! If you buy a cheap brand (like I did), you'll be stuck with poor quality. There are some good quality brands out there, you'll need to research which ones. Usually you get what you pay for... I think we have some different choices between the US and here in Australia.

As for a wireless keyboard and mouse, if you can talk her out of it, then that would be better. I just got too annoyed with mine (batteries, interfering with router) and sold it. I now have a Logitech corded set, works fine. Otherwise I find Logitech and Microsoft both make decent quality wireless keyboard/mouse sets.

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yea imma go with the 3rd one...i think i've found a couple of AM2 socket processors, but dont know what to get

http://www.geeks.com..._sc.asp?cat=986

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
you should be looking at dual core, the processors you suggested are not the way to go...

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
http://www.geeks.com...D...5CU&cpc=SCH

I found that one, its an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor but it is only for 3800+?

what are some other good dual core processors? well it has to be AM2 Socket Design, so any ideas?

Edited by kashie, 13 July 2007 - 10:09 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
AM2+ will support quad and dual.

I recomment no slower then 4800+, it's probably your best bet for you budget, maybe even faster if there is money to spare.

I've been a little short on time lately which is why I'm not around as often, working about 60 hours a week.

James

Edited by james_8970, 13 July 2007 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
how much will that cost, and yea if its below 100$ then yea ill get it, if not then is there anything else good with AM2+ socket processor, like make a flat out build please?

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
"AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards", I was reading about the AM2+ Processors, does this mean that AM2 Processors will work on AM2 Socket Processors such as the Gigabyte Motherboard I wanted to get?

"However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications."

Isnt that saying that even tho the new AM2+ Processor has the Hyper Transport 3.0 which is 2 ghz and has the splitting planes goes back to the original AM2 Processors which is Hyper Transport 2.0 with speed at 1 GHZ...so the best way to go is AM2 Processors because AM2+ Processors wont make much of a difference?

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
"AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards", I was reading about the AM2+ Processors, does this mean that AM2 Processors will work on AM2 Socket Processors such as the Gigabyte Motherboard I wanted to get?

"However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications."

Isnt that saying that even tho the new AM2+ Processor has the Hyper Transport 3.0 which is 2 ghz and has the splitting planes goes back to the original AM2 Processors which is Hyper Transport 2.0 with speed at 1 GHZ...so the best way to go is AM2 Processors because AM2+ Processors wont make much of a difference?

kashie

kashie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just dont want to wait for the AM2+ Processors cuz they wont be in full effect with the AM2 Socket Motherboards, if its going to go back to hyper transport 2.0, I just want the AM2 Processors.. so can either ruth or james post a flat out build knowing so far that the motherboard is the Gigabyte!

MotherBoard: Gigabyte M61VME-S2 NVIDIA Socket AM2 MicroATX

Edited by kashie, 14 July 2007 - 12:17 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I understand it's taking a long time for me to post back replies, but understand that I am a volunteer with a very busy life at the moment.
I never knew you had a Xeon board, I suggest returning it to open your options.
Till the price drops it's hard to make any recommendations as I'm not sure what processor will go at exactly what price point, all we have are rumoured price points, and they are exactly that rumours. After the Intel price drop you may be better of going the Intel route but I can't say for sure. In 10 days bump this post and I can give you a exact build.
I suggest AM2+ because it has a great upgradability path with the upcoming procesors, not for current advantages. However the new processor coming out at the end of the year or early next year will have a AM3 chipset, but will work on AM2+ chipset board. Though they won't work on AM2 boards. The differences between AM2+ and AM3 will be a few features, but nothing has been announced yet on what these features may be and we probably won't hear about them till a week or so before the launch of the product line.

Now for your build.
As it is, you won't need a sound card.
A x1650 or 7600GS would be plenty of power in your case, get which ever one you can find cheapest.
320GB has a great price point, must be SATA 2.0GB/s and 16mb cache is advisable.
20x IDE or SATA DVD drive, which ever is cheapest, there is no difference between the two when it comes to performance.
A P35 chipset board if we go the Intel route, AM2 chipset if we go the AMD route, it all depends on where the price are after the price cut.
2GB of ram if we go the Vista route, 1GB if we go the XP route.

Vista is the future so we might as well get that, but it's your call.

This is very vague, I understand, but till we see the budget cuts it's really hard to price something out with a budget when we don't know the cost of some of the hardware.

Also, do you have any plans on overclocking?

Lastly, hold off on the motherboard, does your case even support mATX? Or does it support ATX? or both?

James

Edited by james_8970, 14 July 2007 - 12:48 PM.