Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

card reader on vista

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am using an olympus fe-180 olympus digital camera and an olympus 1gb xd card. I formatted the card in the camera, and it saves pictures fine, I can view all of the pictures on the camera. once I take the card out and put it in the built in 5-in-1 reader on my hp dv6000t, it says card must be formatted, when i try to format it, it says "could not formatted". this happens every time i put the card in. I have downloaded all of the drivers, and still doesnt work. I know the card reader works because it reads sd cards fine. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Is the card readable by another computer using Vista or XP?

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yes, it works in other card readers, i tested on a pc with xp and it worked

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thats odd.

I did just search and realized that... I don't know what OS you are using.
One site I found says it ships with Windows XP.

A quick search on HP.com to see if any new downloads where there found This download for the 5-in-1 reader, which you might have.

There are XP x64, Vista 32 and 64 bit drivers for it as well.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
im running vista premium, and have downloaded all of the latest drivers, im starting to think its a problem with the hardware of the card reader. (its a built in ricoh 5-in-1 reader)

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm thinking the same. The only way I could guess to confirm that is to find out if
1) No other XD card works and
2) See if another card (one of the other 4 readable, like CF) work or not.

Seeing as it sees a card is there, its not a wire lose to the USB connection, but its still a very odd issue.
I assume since the computer appears new that its under warranty which would be good for you.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yea it reads sd cards perfectly, and it is under warrenty and when i contacted hp they said theyd fix it for free, i was just wishing to fix it myself and not have to go through all of that. Thanks for the help though.