Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 intallation freezes, laptop

• Please log in to reply

Killerzone

Killerzone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, and thanks. While attempting to install win98 on a presario v5000, it freezes everytime at the point of setting up hardware and any pnp it may have. I already refomated the drive, but no luck. No floppy drive to create or use a start up disk. Data already lost, just want to get an OS onboard. The only extra full version I have is win98, have other upgrades too. Thanks again for any help, appreciate it. Killer...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When it freezes on finding/setting up hardware, just restart the computer and if prompted choose "Safe Recovery". Windows will then ignore the device that upset it previously and carry on with everything else. It may well be the item its getting stuck on has an issue about it that Windows doesn't like.

Killerzone

Killerzone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil, but yeah, I've done that several times, no luck. I can get into safe mode at times, but that's it. Normal mode freezes as well. So with no real effective changes while in safe mode, it really does no good. Anywho thanks for trying, appreciate it. A reminder, it does this everytime and with 98 and me. Later, Killer...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's a hardware issue then with the laptop which may or may not be resolvable. Nothing more we can do I'm afraid :whistling: