Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling Help

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since I have never used them nor heard of people who have, my guess would be as good as yours. But if you want to hear my "educated guess" it'd go with this........ since your graphics card is normally lower in the case and hot air rises, the intake fan would probably be your best bet if you could place it below your graphics card, so that the VGA fan will be drawing in cooler air and probably be more efficient at it's job of cooling the GPU. But honestly I can't see this having the significant temperature difference that Antec is reporting on their site.
Before this purchase can you give me a link to your PSU and tell me if your card is overclocked?
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 July 2007 - 09:14 PM.

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I don't have an exact link, but I have a screenshot of my PSU specs.

http://img247.images...psuspecsjh8.png

And I understand about the coolers.

Another question though, why is my PC doing this all of the sudden. It NEVER use to do this. I used to play video games on ihghest settings for hours and would never have any problems at all. It seems that this whole thing started once summer began. Do you think maybe because its hotter or something outside? :whistling:

But I jut did another test of mine. We have had the AC on in our hosue the whole day since its a blazer today. So that makes my room obviously a lot cooler. So I tried playing the COD 2 Demo to try a game and once again the same problem. But I tried it again but with blowing a desk fan into the case with the side of and no prblem for 20 minutes. Then I exited out of the game. But this stupid problem is making me mad because thats the whole reason I bought a custom PC was to be able to play all my favorite games. Now I can't :blink:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's definitely overheating, do you have the latest catalyst 7.6?
Is your card overclocked? They run hot as it is, double check the VGA fan is indeed running. Next, I'd buy all the case fans I could fit inside my case.
Lastly I'd unplug the card from the PSU then firmly plug it back it.
That PSU has enough amps on it to run the card, never heard of the brand though.
Do you ever find the card to be loud, do you think the fan may not be running up to 100%, if this is the case then the sensor could be broken on the card (you can fix this) or else the card isn't getting enough juice, which is why I would like you to unplug the card and plug it back in just to double check it's getting all the power it can access off the rails.
If all this fails, play a game will the side of the case off for 1 hour, play will the settings as high as possible, even if the frame rates arn't very playable.
Then exit and check the cards temperature via the ATI icon on your toolbar on the bottom right, I'm 98% possitive it's overheating, just want to double check.
James

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Yes I have 7.6 for catalyst, and I don't overclock.
My VGA fan IS running, and every once in a while I hear a fan but not sure if its that one.

And I am guessing that when you say play a game for an hour with the side of, Im guessing with my desk fan into it. Otherwise it won't run more than 10 minutes. I am also not quite sure how to read the cards temperature via the ATI icon on your toolbar. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. But lately also everytime I restart my PC, my monitor color is very dark. This also started happening right when the video card isse started to happen. To fix thos problem I have to open Natural color. Click Monitor Adustment, then Color preference, and everything goes back to normal.

When I hover over the ATI icon in my toolbar it always reads

http://img67.imagesh...ireadinguf9.png

Sorry bout the next two posts, I was havin some internet troubles.

Well I just turned of my pc, took of the side, and then turned it back on while looking the GFX card fan. It wasn't moving!!!! I tried it a few times same result. So I gave it a little push when it was off, turned my PC on, and wa la!!! It was spinning again. I checked Speed Fan and everything was cool again!!! I also just played the COD2 Demo for a good 25 minutes, and no problems at all!!! I m gonna play battlefield 2 tonight with the highest sestting for maybe an hour or two. So I will let you know how everything goes. thanks for your help so far!!!

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 13 July 2007 - 11:30 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah no problem, double check that there isn't anything in there preventing the fan to move, also check that the fans cables are proboly connect into the connector on the PCB, it'll be a very small wire. You may be forced to buy a VGA cooler down the road as it sounds like your fan is going.

To check your cards temperature do the following. I have the HD 2900XT, but since we both have catalyst 7.6 I'll assume everything is the same.

->Double click the ATI icon.
->Click ATI overdrive

There you should see the current temperature in the middle right hand side of the ATI catalst control center window. If this ever reaches points over 80oC, shut your computer down. I have a feeling that if it can't always start on it's own, it's will not work 75% or higher, which will of course be problematic.
Hopefully everything will work for a while now, however please keep a close eye on this fan.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 July 2007 - 09:39 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well Thank you!

I just looked at the temp and it was at 57 C being idle. But I have a 5 year warranty on every part in my PC since it was from Cyber Power. Would you reccoemend I still take it into them so they can check it out?

Also, how do you like the HD 2900XT?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I just palyed CSS for a good 25 mins and I checked the temp through ATI and it was 70. now its goin down since I am not playing.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I like it a lot, but I'd hold on the purchase of one if you like lots of AA(pretty weak at AA right now, but I'm confident this is a driver issue as it supports up to 24x AA, no other card is capable of that), otherwise it beats or is on par with the 8800GTX in many games. However if you like playing with AA I'd recommend buying a nVida card at the moment, but honestly if I were you I'd stick with your current card as I don't think the 8800 series or the HD 2900XT will be very capable with DX10 as it will be very demanding. Also we still have probably another year or more till we see only DX10 games. So really there is no point on upgrading.

If the fan stops once more then yes, send it in, it's not worth the risk.
James

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thanks for all your help James :whistling:

One lsat question, is there a more techinal way to see if the fan is spinning or not? Or do I have to physically open the case each time to see it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade I could help. :whistling:
Sadly as far as I know you need to open your case to see it, or you could possibly place you hand on the back to see if you can feel any moving air.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 July 2007 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Just thought of another question to this topic.

I just checked my ATI and I am at about 57 C for being idle. Is that a good temp?

And about 70 C in game. Is that also good or bad?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Those temps are fine, your specific card was built to run hot, most ATI cards are as they seem to run a little hotter then their Nvidia counterparts. If it ever hits 80oC, thats when the computer would need to be shut down as it'd then be getting close to it's limit, if I remember correctly your series of graphics cards will hit skyhigh 90 and at that point would start deteriorating. However I still don't recommend you do anything with your card if it ever hit 80oC or higher.
James

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok. Ugh why do I keep thinking of questions. lol

sorry to keep on bothering you, but I ordered my pc from Cyberpower and you pick the parts and they build it. For Cooling fan I odered an
INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS.

How would I know if I got those three extra case fans?
Because in my case all I see is the two blue fans(ones that already come with the case, from their website) and the fan ontop of the CPU and GFX card.
I think they gipped me but no sure how to tell.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well if you don't have 5 case fans then it sounds like it to me as well, though it'd be to late to try and get the fans from them I'm sure.
James

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ya you are probably right. Stupid me, I never thought of checking :whistling: