Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard disk problems

• Please log in to reply

Meg23

Meg23

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My hard disk has started clickng.The PC then askes to insert boot media.I've had the driver click before so I don't actually think its a hardware problem.

When I enter the setup and the drive confguration the following are not detected.

SATA Port-0
SATA Port-2
PATA Primary Master
PATA Primary Slave
PATA Secondary Master

only one is detected

PATA Secondary Slave : PHILIPSPCRW5232P

Could ths mean myhard disk is not connected properly?

Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It means that the computer do not detect any hard disk in your computer, only the Philips CD drive. Switch off the computer and make sure the power and flat cables sit in place correctly.

Have you done anything with the drives lately? It is very posible that your hard disk ended it's life.

Meg23

Meg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I opened up my pc and gave the drive a bit of a dust for good measure.All the calbles seem to be cocnnected properly.I had to get my monitor fixed so it wasn't beng used foor a couple of days.I haven't done anything to it.
It does seem like the end of my hard disk.Any other suggestions?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Disconnnect the flat cable from the philips and connect to the hard disk. Make sure to connect to the end connector of the cable and to jumper the HD disk either as Master (or single) or as cable select (cs). Double check all the connections. Quite often people have problems after cleanups. Usually these are solved by reseating the ram modules, video card and making sure that the cables sit strongly in place.

Meg23

Meg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How do I make sure it's Master or CS? I disconnected the CD drive and followed ur instructions.Unfortunatly it didn't help.

Edited by Meg23, 09 July 2007 - 03:22 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
there should be a diagram prnted on the hard disk showing how the jumper should be set. If you connect the disk in place of the cd drive make sure that nothing else is installed on this flat cable and connect the HD to the end connector.

Now, usually cd drives are connected with old standard 40 leads cable. If you don't succed there return the disk to where it was before you replaced it with new disk. There you you will see a denser flat cable, made out of 80 leads.

Meg23

Meg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
My hard disk had the 40 lead cable,cd drive had the 80.

I tried that also and it's still not helping.In fact things have got worse.I reconnected the cables,when I turned the computer on my monitor shows nothing.When the computer works the monitor light is yellow,if the monitor is on and the computer is off the light is orange.Not despite turning on the cpu,the monitor light is orange and showing nothing.Hard disk is still clicking.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Double check the monitor connections, especially the one to the video card because this one tends to become loose if the two screws of the conector are not secured. Also check the cable connections on the monitor side

Disconnect the hard disk completely and start the computer. You should see something showing up on the monitor.

If this doesn't work then try to move the monitor to another computer and see if it works there. If it doesn't then it's faulty. If it doe's then we have another hardware problem, probably with the video card. Alternatively you can connect another monitor, known to be good, to your computer and see what happens.

To check the HD you must, first of all, have a working monitor. If after having the monitor working, and after connecting the hard disk to the cable and connector in which the Phillips cd showed up, and if you jumpered the HD correctly, if after all this the HD is not recognized then it's probably finished.

As a matter of fact it looks as if you have several overlapping problems which should be sorted out. If you can connect the hard disk to another computer and see if it's recognized there it could be very helpful.

(by the way the flat cables in your computer were incorrectly connected. 40 leads should be for the cd drive, 80 leads to the HD)

Meg23

Meg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for your help but I just decided too get a new hard disk.It does seem like the old one's dead.I might try and to get it working again but the chances of that seem slim.
Again thanks you for your help(and being so patient) :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Our pleasure.