Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any difference with DVD drive from another country?

• Please log in to reply

leirud

leirud

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell PC purchased in the USA that I've taken with me to France while studying. The DVD drive has died and needs to be replaced. Can I use a drive that I can purchase at a store in France or do I need to get one from the USA? Are there any compatibiliy issues?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It is a hardware component. To my knowledge, there would be no differance. Other than the writing on the front of the drive might be in french, but it should function the same.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There shouldn't be any problem buying a drive in france. Basically the grid voltage is different, 110V in the USA and 230V in Europe. The power supply unit compensates for these differences either manually (a small switch at the back of the psu) or automatically.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Make sure you check the voltage switch (if present) and set it accordingly before you use it, otherwise it will literally go bang (for the power supply, this has nothing to do with the OP, I didn't read the thread properly).

As to the DVD Writer, its a bog standard one, its not going to come up in French.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 July 2007 - 03:35 PM.

leirud

leirud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the replies....I went ahead and purchased a Samsung....it works perfectly....