Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't rename files...

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
When I try to rename a file name it says:
"If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"
If I click yes I can't open the file. It never used to do this so what's happened?

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
That would be because you are changing the whole file name, along with the file type extension like .exe, .xls, .doc. If you change that then Windows has no idea how to open that file or what program to use to open it with. So just change everything before the . .

Jr0x

Jr0x

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,652 posts
First, what file extension is the file? and what did you change to?

The message will only occurs if you rename file name with View file extension option being enabled.

If you do not wish to view file extension, you can do the following to disable it.

Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types.
Click Apply and OK to exit.