Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error 1084

• Please log in to reply

SoYman

SoYman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i just installed a fresh install of windows xp pro sp2 and everything has been fine until just yesterday the sound went out and i started digging and found out that the windows audio service is not running and when i try to start it, it just says that it cannot run in safe mode and im not running in safe mode

there have also been some overlookable issues with windows installer saying "the windows installer service cannot be reached you might be running in safe mode etc."

thanks in advance

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For some reason thr computer "thinks" it's in safe mode with regards to some applications. Try to uninstall the audio driver in device manager, and installer 3.1 in add/remove programs. Reboot the computer. This will reload legacy windows drivers. If you have no sound, reload the audio driver of the motherboard.

make sure windows automatic updates are turned on. The computer will download installer 3.1 automatically.