Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
im on a compaq evo desktop computer. running windows xp sp2

when i plug in my wireless adapter as soon as i plug it in my computer crashes and the BSOD comes up. memory dump etc etc

it shows this: STOP (0x0000007e, 0xc0000005 0xf997b8e4)

no clue whats wrong. my warranty expired so compaq cant help. linksys says to call compaq. i have no choices but to come to the great gtg :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Does it happen when you connect it to other usb ports? When you insert another usb device does the computer crash? it might be that the adapter is faulty.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
to tell u the truth i dont have another usb device. i tried it on my laptop works fine.

happens no matter wat usb port i plug it into

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Borrow another working USB device from somewhere, maybe a friend or co-worker.
See if the same thing happens.
How many USB devices do you have on that computer? This situation can occur when you run out of USB bandwidth, often by having so many devices in at one time.

Also this can occur with corrupted USB drivers or even a bad cable.
Best solution is to disappear off into Device Manager, delete everything under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and restart the computer, let it find everything again. Then see what happens.

This can also be a sign of faulty USB ports.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
i dont ave any usb devices plugged in at all. just this one. the usb device works fine on my other computer so it cant be the device. its the computer itself.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Try uninstalling and reinstalling your wireless adapter software.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
didnt work. i just reformatted. plugged in adapter. comp shutdown

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
2 > Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > Use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
i am not on the computer having the problems. im on a different computer.

because of this problem i cannot get online.

Edited by Gabriel1, 07 July 2007 - 05:13 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
OK when you get to that computer go ahead and post that information. I would not be able to access the program I use to analize those until tonight anyways.

Advertisements

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

OK when you get to that computer go ahead and post that information. I would not be able to access the program I use to analize those until tonight anyways.

i am on a different computer....... the computer having problems is right next to me but i cant post the info because i cant get online

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is there any way you can tranfer files from one computer to another and post on the computer that you are on?

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
no :whistling: not from this one to another. because this computer has no way to get online and when i plug anything into it it shuts down.

is there a way u can give me instructions on how to check the dump myself?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Gabriel1,

The program needed to analyze the minidumps needs to be downloaded from the Internet so that will not be much help to you.

Does this problem also happen if you plug in a USB Flash Drive or Thumb Drive. This could also be a diagnostic.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
i could burn the file and install it onto the crappy computer.

and i dont have another usb device to test it with.