Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash upon search

• Please log in to reply

Max321

Max321

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I don't know if i'm at the right place,if a HJT log would be necessary,but anyway. My problem is that when I hit the search button in the start menu, explorer.exe crashes..! That's about the only thing I can say about that..! Thank's for you help!

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
While I do some research on seeing how to restore any possible curruption with the dll's and regestry assosiated with that lets try something simple.
-------------------------------------------------------
We are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for your quick answer ^^'

The..scan is complete,well i think..!

They didn't ask me for any cd,so there was no problem there (it was pre-installed on my computer so i was happy)
When it finished, well...there was no message or anything so...i don't really know the results..! But i guess everything went well...And there was no updates to reinstall...

Search files is still not working,and I don't know if it was that way before, but in my music folder, normally it showed the details next to the file,like the artist and the album,so I could reoganise the files that way but now...all the details are gone!

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Sorry for that double post but...it's been like 4 days and still i didn't have an answer to my last message...
Thanks!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Still researching this issue.

Go ahead and download HDtune in my signature give it a run. Report back the results.

Edited by tuxmaster, 11 July 2007 - 05:20 PM.