Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless speed differences

• Please log in to reply

oandino

oandino

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, guys

I currently have a Netgear 108mpbs (WGT624) router. I also have comcast cable and average 3.5mb downloads when connected via hard wire. However, when I connect wirelessly, my speed goes down to 2mb. How can I get the same speed wirelessly as I do when wired? Also, could it be the router and/or would the problem be solved if I get a Mimmo or N router? I'd appreciate your input, guys.

Cheers

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. What kind of wireless adapter do you have on the wireless computer?

I have the same router as you, and my laptop has an internal adapter, which only allows it to go up to 50 MBPS. Because of this, it's roughly half the speed of the wired desktop. On the other hand, my father has a desktop which we are using wirelessly. That desktop has an external adapter made by Netgear, allowing a full 100 MBPS transmission, assuming you have great signal. His computer is only a yard or so away, so there's no difference.

oandino

oandino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you so much for the reply.

That could be the problem on one of my two laptops. I have an internal card in one and the other has the adapter recommended for the router (also 108mbps), but it also performs slower than when wired. ??

BTW, how can I find out the speed of the internal adapter on the one that has one?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
To find the speed, make sure that you are first connected. Next to the system clock at the bottom-right of the screen, you will see an icon of a computer, with green signals coming from it. That shows that you are wirelessly connected. Put your mouse over that, and you should see X MBPS, X being the number.

There is something to be said for computer speed as well. Faster computers (whether it be from RAM or processing power) will generally surf the web faster than older computers. I notice very little difference between my computers, but there is one, becuase the desktop is a few years old, and the newer desktop has much more power.