Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP installation problem

• Please log in to reply

elliot81

elliot81

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi i recently got a Toshiba Satelite laptop from my friend, it has Windows Xp Proffesional on it, but it doesnt work for some reason, everytime I try to boot it, it trys to install Xp even if if their is no disc in to install from. So I thought that I mite aswell install XP on it.. again cause the old one mite be corrupted or something but when I do that I get 'Fatal Error' An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Click ok to view the setup log file.

In the log file the errors i get include: setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error: OpenService(tabsrv) returned error 1060 (424). and stuff like that any ideas?

Thx Elliot.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get anywhere with this

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

elliot81

elliot81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thx for the quick reply but i cant get into the the bios by pressing delete or f2 or del with this paticular computer it gives you 5 different graphics and you have to navigate to the graphic that displays the image of what you want to boot into (ie. their is a graphic of a cd, so if you want to boot from a cd you move the red line onto it) hearing that do you have any new ideas?

Thx Again, Elliot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post the model number please

elliot81

elliot81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep sure its a Toshiba satellite 2400 :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press and hold F12 then start the laptop, this should give you boot options, use the left and right arrows to select the CD ROM Drive, (put the XP CD in the drive), press enter

You should also be able to do this by pressing C as the computer boots

The manual is here

http://eu.computers.....jsp?service=EU

You will need winzip or similar, and adobe reader, unzip to a named folder, click the adobe S1400 icon for the manual

The above is from section 7 HW Set Up

elliot81

elliot81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, ive reformatted the hard drive into NTFS format, and the install files are copied to it, now i only get the one error when it tries to install: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\|386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4

XXX

Error: Installation Failed: D:\|386\asms. Error Message: Incorrect function.

XXX

Fatal Error:
One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect Function.

XXX

I have moved forward alot with your help, please lets finish. this :whistling:

Edited by elliot81, 08 July 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is skip an option, if so, click skip. Or does it cancel set up?

I expect you are in a loop now, if you restart the PC it will restart the set up

elliot81

elliot81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no it doesnt give me an option to skip, it instantly starts the XP installation (not this one: http://www.housing.h...indowssetup.gif, this one: http://www.winsupers..._rc1_rev_01.gif ) and it doesnt seem to move past 'remaining time: 39 minutes'; and ive waited for like an hour. What do you think, thanks again, Elliot

By The Way: When the computer starts it gives me 2 options to boot with, both Windows Xp proffesional, the top one enters the 'never ending' installation and the bottom one goes to the start of the installation but doesnt show any text or graphics, just a blue screen (like the background of the XP installation)

Edited by elliot81, 08 July 2007 - 07:21 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the memory first

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

If there are no errors, and there isn't any data on the laptop, you could use boot and nuke to format the drive, it wipes the drive clean which will help

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

elliot81

elliot81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thx so much for your help, I cleaned off the disc and tried it and after about 3 or 4 times it started to install :blink: Everythings fine. You will see my posts come up from time to time but for now. Thanks :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know