Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive and Blank DVD's.

• Please log in to reply

Akimb0

Akimb0

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello all, I tried to copy a few things onto a blank DVD for a friend last night, this is the first time I've tried it with this DVD drive. ( Sony DVD RW AW-G170A ) Unfortunately the drive just seems to want to spin the DVD, trying to read information from it I assume, of course it's a blank DVD so it just keeps trying. I've disabled windows ( XP Home. ) autoplay functions, yet it seems to want to keep doing it. Are there any autoplay functions I've maybe missed?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
At first I thought maybe you are using the wrong type of DVD, as some older drives can only write to either DVD-R or DVD+R but not both. However, the Sony AW-G170A can write to both types as I'm sure you already know, so that's not the problem. The only other possibility that springs to mind is that the drive doesn't like the brand of discs you are trying to write to, which is not unusual and can often be an issue with CD and DVD-writers of whatever brand. You might want to try a different brand of blank discs, preferably a quality brand like TDK or even Sony's own brand. Both these brands should be easy to find in most shops which sell blank discs.

If that makes no difference then it's possible the drive itself is faulty, especially since you say this is the first time you've tried to use it as a writer.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you also might want to go to the manufactures website and see if the is any updated drivers or firmware for your particular model...these updates can help the drive to "see" more brands of media...
you could also try using the device manager to uninstall the drive and reboot and windows will "find" the new hardware and reinstall the drivers...
what burning software do you use..