Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet connecting problem

• Please log in to reply

Sun Guru

Sun Guru

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there...

I have a very technical problem and hope that someone here could help me with it.

I have a 100Mbps connection and I can seed at 10 MB/s easily. Lately I have been having a little bit of problem with my internet connection. It seems to me that my connection is very unstable. As you can see from the pictures that I have attached below,my connection reaches 25 % of it's capability and then suddenly drops to 1% and then goes back to 25% and then back to 1%. This sequence happens every second. This behavior is also displayed by my Utorrent speed graph. Yesterday while browsing I got a notification of my conenction in the system tray that my internet connection has been downgraded from a 100Mbps to a 10Mbps connection. After a while it jumped back to 100Mbps. Since I have my connection settings set to Autosense it changes directly when the speed drops. Then I thought that my university is doing some speed capping but I phoned a friend of mine who works there and he told me that that is not the case and that his connection is still at full speed. He told me that is the uni wanted to cap only my speed that he would have been notified.

I have an ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller 5.1.2600.310. . It's around 2 years old (same as my pc). I have already uninstalled the driver and installed it back...still the problem persist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Is this a wired or wireless connection.
Is there a router?
Where is the modem?
Laptop or desktop? (only for simplicity in trying another connection, say another floor or building).
Have you tried another connection?

Sun Guru

Sun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is this a wired or wireless connection?
Wired

Is there a router?
No...it's a fixed connection

Laptop or desktop?
Desktop

Have you tried another connection?
Please explain...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Can you plug it into another wired connection in another room/ building?
Is anyone else having problems?
Trying to determine if its your computer or a building/ floor issue.

Sun Guru

Sun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No...there is nobody else in the building having the problem. I phoned a guy who administrates the connections for the university and he said that his connection is working at full capacity and it's not fluctuating as mine. He told me that it's a problem with my computer and not with the connection.

It is definitely my computer.

I must say, I upload A LOT! Over these two years I have upped more than 200 TB and the first thing that came to my mind was that my ULi PCI card is giving up. But if it's giving up, how can I be sure that it's that and not some software malfunction?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I strongly suspect your network controller card.

Sun Guru

Sun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have bought a new ethernet card...and installed it...

And still the problem persist... :whistling:

Edited by Sun Guru, 09 July 2007 - 07:43 AM.