Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New HD Stops Computer From Booting All The Way

• Please log in to reply

riven2000

riven2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All,

I have a frustrating problem with a slave drive on an older PII. The machine came with a Fujitsu 3GB drive, and I need to upgrade it. I've tried installing a 60GB Seagate (jumpered for 32GB), but when I try to use it on the main bus (master or slave), the machine boots up as far as the EnergyStar/hardware ID screen, then just sits there. I've tried different jumper settings, BIOS settings, etc., but no luck. The drive does work as an external USB, so I know it's good. Just not on the main bus. I want to set it up as a new main drive if possible.

The system:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
400 megahertz AMD K6 3D
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Biostar Group M5SAA 1.x
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 10/07/99
124 Megabytes Installed Memory

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Welcome to G2G.

A little clarification please?
Is the 3gb drive the master on this P2?
Are you attempting to hook the 60gb as a slave? and then make it a master?
If you have it set as master, do you have an OS on it?

riven2000

riven2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The 3GB is the master right now. I've tried using the big drive as a slave with it. Also tried to initialize the big drive as a master while installing XP on it. It doesn't have any OS on it right now.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Double-check the jumper settings to make sure it is only set for 32Gb, this board should be able to see it at 32Gb.
There is an unofficial BIOS available for this board to make it see up to 64Gb, but this is done at your own risk.

You're not the first person with this problem on this motherboard. Apparently a BIOS upgrade will be needed, but Biostar don't support this board anymore on their site so whether you can find an official BIOS upgrade for it is another question.