Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam help

• Please log in to reply

ascotsguy

ascotsguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been asked a question regarding a webcam and it has stumped me.

They can use it on yahoo messenger and it works fine (they are on dsl).

They are a member of a cams site and while they are logged in to it in the general chat section their cam works fine. However when someone enters into a one on one chat it freezes and nothing works on the cam side.

The confusing part for me is that it worked fine for the first few days and after spending time talking to someone in private for 15 minutes it stopped working. They haven't altered anything on firewalls or virus software or any other settings.

The site mentions their firewall as a problem or connection being poor yet it is only when the person connects to their cam through the sites system that it stops working.

What could be the cause and the best way to try to fix this?

Any help, advice, comments are welcome

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if the firewall prevents the situation in which someone approaches the computer directly and regard it as an intrusion by an unauthorised IP. Depending on what firewall is used try to change the settings or the list of exclusion. If, however, a different IP is trying to approach every time then I don't think a firewall can handle such a situation because it is against the purpose for which it was made.