Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lightning Struck Computer -- Now What?

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well a few months ago, lightning struck my uncle's computer so I told him I'd fix it for him. It seems as though it came through the modem they were using. So I replaced the power supply, motherboard, videocard, and modem because they all were junk.

The computer now boots, but there is another small problem. The small problem is whenever searching the internet for awhile, playing games, or just leaving the computer going on the desktop, it crashes and the mouse and keyboard will no longer move (all locked up, ya know) The only main things not being replaced are the processor or harddrive. Since we're operating on a tight budget, I didn't wanna replace one and it turn out to be the other thing so I figured I'd post a question. If no one can help me, I suppose I'll just use a junk harddrive I have laying around install windows on it and then see it if crashes.

I'm pretty sure its the processor that's messing up, but the computer can be turned off after a crash and then turned right back on and it'll work.

Thz for any help :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is the RAM the same? I usually ask people to check their RAM first because it tends to fail more than other parts.

RAM testing:

Here is a guide to running Memtest: Memtest Guide by Keith

You can download Memtest here: Memtest86

HDD Testing:

HDD diagnostic tools are found here: HDD Diagnostics. Just pick your manufacturer and it will run simular to Memtest.

If both turn out well then you already know where the problem would be. Good Luck.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yea, think I found the problem....I've ran memtest before, but never even thought about running it. It found a total of 2621440 errors before locking up....So I'll prolly swap out the ram with some spare I have and see if it locks up again. Thx man!!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad I could help :whistling:.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
How many sticks of ram do you have?
Did you test them all separately?

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sry 123Runner, I had to go to work and didn't see your response till now.....

Well anyways, I tested the memory first together as a whole and then I tested them one at a time, separately ya know as you suggested. It did turn out that both of them were junk, bummer....but I do have an extra stick of memory with the same specs as the one he had. Popped it in tested it to make sure that everything was good...Memtest86+ v1.70 turned out no errors. So I guess off to ebay I go to buy a new stick of ram! :blink:

Thx for the help guys....also as a rule of thumb for myself everytime people help me out on here I help at least 15 other ppl! Awesome community, great for solvin situations!! :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I advise against buying any kind of computer parts off Ebay. I suggest going to Newegg and getting some quality stuff such as Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, or OCZ.