Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP recovery in dual boot environment

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I succeeded in creating a dual boot environment with Vista on C: and XP-SP1 on D:

After having backed up XP on a DVD with Acronis True Image, I tried a recovery process, i.e., restoring XP to its original place alongside Vista. When I now go through the dual boot process at pc startup and select XP, I get a message stating that Windows could not boot. It displays "/ntldr", status : 0xc0000225, Info : cannot load selected entry due to missing or corrupt application. There is no problem booting into Vista at startup.

I tried a bootcfg with the XP cd but that did not help. I even copied from C: to D: the BOOT file along with bootmgr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to no avail.

Is there something to be done with EasyBCD?

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Try VistaBootPRO......

I did the same thing u are trying to do with VistaBootPRO, but Vista was so slow and junk that I just deleted it and started using my old XP again.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I totally agree with you about Vista. I'm only keeping it because of the warranty on the new laptop it's on. Between you and me, my daily OS is W2k-SP4, on a dual boot system with XP, on a desktop. Windows 2000 has much higher performance than XP and it can run any program XP can... faster.

VistaBootPro was taken over by crooks. EasyBCD, by the same author, is the program to use. It didn't help in my case. XP is recognized. Something must be wrong with my specific XP. But I don't see why since it's a "carbon copy" of the original.

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Did you make the image while you were in Vista or XP?

If you were in XP, certain system files get locked and you can't make an image of them.
Try BCDedit and make sure the path to the xp files is correct. I'm not sure what else to suggest further than that.

Offtopic: You seem to be having quite a few issues with Vista, and as such I'd be willing to help fix as many as I can :whistling: I've found quite an appalling number of people complaining about Vista when their copies come from OEM. If you aren't dealing with a clear, unedited by manufacture version, I can't say you are dealing with the true Vista. Call it an opinion if you must.

Edited by Cybertimber2007, 11 July 2007 - 09:49 PM.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have no intention of using Vista. I'm only keeping it till the warranty on my laptop runs out.

Vista is junk. I really believe that smart people should remain with w2k-sp4 or XP for the next few years. A friend of mine, an ex-HP man, is still running with W98 (2nd Edition) and is very happy with it. Ardent users of Vista are just naive and victims of an excellent snow job by Microsoft.

Coming back to my problem, I discovered what was wrong: BCD ID for the restored XP was labelled as ntldr, for a mysterious reason. After playing around with the different options in EasyBCD, including those specifically linked to the Boot Loader, I managed to define the appropriate BCD ID for XP. Now, everything's fine.

Thank you for your suggestions.