Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enabling the USB ports at the front of my case

• Please log in to reply

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
The other day, I opened my case to install my new DVD burner, and I found these wires behind the bottom of the front part of my case, where two USB ports are located.

The ports have never worked, so I'd always thought I needed to buy sth to add to my main board in order for them to work. I don't really know much about it so I'd always just ignored them. And well, you can imagine how big my surprise was when I looked up the manual and saw that it was just a matter of plugging those wires on the right pins for those USB ports to finally work.

As you can see on Fig 01, the chart on my manual doesn't really help as it shows 10 pins while the map of the main board shows 9 pins on each of the 2 USB connectors.

Besides, the actual wires I found have each of them 4 pinholes (Fig 02), which makes both of them destined to fit in 8 pins, leaving 1 pin spared.

On a website, I found a picture that shows how to plug them (Fig 03), it's easy to understand and it clearly shows which is the pin that would be untouched, the one which reads "shield".

I'm planning to follow that model on Fig 03. I'll plug them and won't worry about that shield thing, although I'm not so sure.

I'd like to get some advice on this.

Attached Thumbnails

• fig_01.gif
  • fig_01___02.gif

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the wires from the case are coloured (usually red, white, green and black) then do this:

Using the cables from one side (don't interchange them, find one cable and separate it from the other before doing this otherwise they still won't work):
Red -> VCC
White -> USB 1-
Green -> USB 1+
Black -> GND

Then do the same with the other cable on the other side of the block.
Red -> VCC
White -> USB 2-
Green -> USB 1+
Black -> GND

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 July 2007 - 01:07 AM.