Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Converting .mdi to .jpg or other real format

• Please log in to reply

geerhed

geerhed

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have been forced to do several screenshots in .mdi, don't ask why.

I need to manipulate them (in PS, Adobe, etc) and all say .mdi is an unsupported file format. WTH? why would anyone do this? Oh...right...

Does anyone have or can recommend a decent converter (free- or shareware would be nice) to take care of this? I've seen some trial or freeware programs listed, but frankly am scared to go dangling my dongle in unfamiliar territory.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
MDI files are Office proprietary. A high resolution, tag-based graphics format. .MDI files are only supported by the Microsoft Office 2003 version of Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you are going to share files with people who are using Office Document Imaging 2002, or another document imaging program, it's best if you save your files in TIFF format for compatibility.

geerhed

geerhed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Neil -

Thanks for your reply.

I saved the original as .mdi and then opened that in Office Doc Imaging and saved as .tif.

Windows Fax and Picture Viewer does not display it ("no preview available.")
My MS Office Picture Manager is broken (always crashes).
Adobe PS CS gives me a reply of "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."
Adobe PS Album Starter Editor 3.0 gives me "The color space in the file is not supported <file name/path>"

In other words, it treats it exactly the same.

I tried to rename the extension from .tif to .TIFF (sometimes that works) but the results were the same.
When applying "Print" to a web page, there was no way to specify .TIFF as a format.
How are .tif and .TIFF different? Or are they?

These are web and windows screenshots, if it matters.

Thanks,

Edited by geerhed, 09 July 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
.MDI files are basically butched TIFF files for Office.

Windows Fax & Picture viewer cannot view TIFFs.
Usually starter versions of Adobe software can't view TIFF files.

A solution (though this will generate more work) is to redo the screenshots and save them in either JPEG or PNG. Every graphic editor on the planet can talk to JPEG files and more recent ones will talk to PNG files.

geerhed

geerhed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Neil:

Thank you, I understand a little better now.

Some of these I cannot re-shoot, but the most critical ones I can.

Thanks again,