Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Booting Hang

• Please log in to reply

jimleg

jimleg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having some trouble with my laptop since I did a system restore about 2 weeks ago.
My system would take 5+ minutes for "Loading your personal Settings" -

So I dwnlded X-teq Setup and turned on verbose messages at startup to see what was happening.

What I see now is executing aswlndll.dll, and then it hangs on wlnotify.dll.

I don't know what to do now, but I can't even get to a desktop unless I hold down the shift key during the dll executions.

I have run several virus and adware scan progs and they all come up with nothing.

How can I fix this slow boot? Help!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have another restore point you can try...if so ...do it

jimleg

jimleg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I like to learn - If one restore point didn't work, how can another work better?

I do have another restore point I can use will I lose any new data by reverting back further?

Thanks!

Edited by jimleg, 09 July 2007 - 09:18 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to pick a date BEFORE the problem started...pick one about 2 weeks before ...the most current will /can have the same problem your experiencing now ...thats why you have to try older ones..
you will not lose any data...but you will have to get any windows updates again for the time period you are going back...