Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Static noise coming from speakers, laptop freezes until you squeeze it

• Please log in to reply

MXN822N

MXN822N

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I posted a few weeks ago about some problems that I was having after my Dell XPS laptop sustained some physical damage. I got the hard drive replaced and that did the trick, it booted up and worked normally for awhile. Now at random times, especially when extremely light pressure is applied to the laptop (like the pressure from hands resting on the laptop while I'm typing) it starts to scream static at me. The sound is muted and no sound applications are running. Then sometimes it freezes up temporarily, everything stops.. Until you squeeze the top and bottom together on the right side of the mouse pointer device and then it gives me a static pop sound and unfreezes.. Temporarily.. Until the next time it freezes up. Sometimes it works fine, the sound usually works fine with mp3's and movies but sometimes it will give me a bad DirectX sound driver message so i'll reboot and it fixes it.. Can anyone tell me what's going on with this thing now? Why is it making this sound and freezing and why does squeezing it unfreeze it? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

laptop sustained some physical damage.

thats the key to this...something inside is shorting out when you apply pressure to the case..
your probably going to have to take it apart and try to figure out whats causing the problem...
maybe someone else has something to try though...

MXN822N

MXN822N

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Why does it only happen sometimes though? Like sometimes it works fine, ill walk out of the room and it's frozen... Or screaming static at me.. Only on the right side of the pointer does the squeezing work too.. I don't get it.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
As happyrck said, there's definitely something up inside. Even though it works fine sometimes, it could be a piece has come loose and just when it happens to hit a certain spot is when it does this. I've seen stuff like this happen all the time. In fact, I was fixing a remote today that would only work if you pressed on one corner, sure enough, it was simply a part that had worked its way loose inside.

If you're not comfortable with opening it yourself, I'd definitely get someone qualified to do so; it can be quite a mess in there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your game to try opening it up...go to the manufactures website and get the printable PDF on how to take it apart...
you could always download it and read it first to see if you want to try it...
it will not heal itself...