Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CLI.exe ATI Catalyst drivers...

• Please log in to reply

i76hitman

i76hitman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had a problem that seems to have just surfaced.

My computer on startup, opens 3 CLI.exe's in the Process list, out of the 3, 2 of them take up all remaining CPU causing my computer to overload itself, and pretty much freezes (except I can still move the mouse, MIGHT be able to get a menu up, can't close anything, can't do anything in other words).

Spysweeper taking up a load of CPU doesn't help either. Anyways, It's only started to do this today, and restarting hasn't helped as it just did it again. I want to know what's causing this and why, as well as what I can do about it.

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! As you have mentioned in your title, CLI.exe is your Catalyst Program. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers. Make sure you have the latest version from the ATI website. I used to use the whole Catalyst Suite myself, but I was sick of it using up so much memory (and there used to be up to 5 of the processes...), so I only install the driver now. It puts 2 ati2evxx.exe processes and only uses about 6MB for the both of them.

However, it sounds like something's definitely up, so I suggest you head over to the malware forum, there could be a nasty infection lurking in your system. Follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions, post in that forum and wait patiently. If everything is all clear and you are still having problems (after the malware forum "all clear" and reinstalling the latest drivers), then come back to this thread and post again.

Good luck :whistling: