Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Start ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

• Please log in to reply

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I need to enable ICS, for something I wish to install, but cannot for some reason. I have looked on the microsoft website, which told me to re-add sharedaccess.reg to the registry, which I did then reset the firewall through command prompt (since they are linked.).
When I go to control panel -- windows firewall it tells me to enable it, I click ok and it starts attempting to enable ICS but then it displays the very helpful message: Windows could not start Internet Connection Sharing.
The microsoft website told me to reinstall SP2 which I have done (although I don't know if I uninstalled the old SP2).
I don't think there is another firewall blocking the windows firewall either.
If i right click my internet connection and select windows firewall settings it goes through the same procedure (windows firewall could not be accessed because the associated service is not running, would you like to start ICS -- YES -- windows could not start ICS).
I am very confused, and hope that this problem is more simple than it seems to me.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I need to enable ICS, for something I wish to install

what are you trying to install...
are the computers networked...

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nintendo Wi-fi USB Connector software. It needs ICS for the setup.
Yes they are networked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disconnecting the second computer...see if you can install then...you are logged on with admin rights aren't you...

might want to look here too...

Edited by happyrck, 09 July 2007 - 09:44 AM.

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes I am. There are about 4 computers on the network, and my dad will not let me change anything.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look here and see if it will work for you..
you could also try to install it to a different computer thats on the network...