Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing Windows Home from Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have recently purchased an HP desktop running Vista Home Premium, this is connected to a wireless network with another HP desktop running XP Home SP2. No problems using the printer or accessing the internet but when I try to map a drive, or for that matter any shared folders on the XP system from the Vista system I get a message saying that access is denied check with the XP system administrator to see if access permissions are set. Tried every thing I can think of but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Codeman0013

Codeman0013

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Vista can be a pain in the butt with this issue. I had to set a username and password on both of my pc's to get it working. There are a few free programs out there but many dont work too well. What steps have you taken and maybe i can help you some more..

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So far I have loaded all the latest MS updates on both systems.

Set up a user id as an administrator and another that is just a user. In both cases the names and passwords are identical on both systems.

Interesting that I have just connected a second vista laptop and the the two Vista systems talk happily together, but neither likes the XP box.

Regrds Andy

Codeman0013

Codeman0013

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is an issue i ran into many times going from vista to xp... try this link and see if this helps you any... http://www.home-netw...etwork-map.html

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that I can now see the XP system from the Vista one but when I click on the XP icon I get the access denied message. I think that either XP and/or Vista treat the case of the user name / password in different ways - but I cann't prove it!