Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stops at start-up

• Please log in to reply

user23

user23

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, heres the simple explination to everything..

me, being the not so geek i am.. i tried opening my computer to take a look inside.. and i think i unpluged the hardrive wires and put then back on in another order(im pretty sure it has to do with this), and i tried flipping my lan card as well.. but it only fits one way.. and now when i try to start up my pc. It goes to the bois screen and reconizes i have a p4 3.0 intel processor.. but nothing after that./. it also gives me this other message "<CPUID:0F41 patch ID:0012"

what does that mean.. my computer was working perfectally before i tried to open it.. any suggestions..

Im guessing its not a ram problem.. or else the computer wouldent of started up..

Hopefuy you guys can figure it out..
thanks i advanse

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What type of cable connects to the drives? Is it a flat, wide cable?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you have the computer unplugged from the wall before opening it up...because if not there is still power to the mobo so you could have killed some of the components while "playing " inside...you could also have bent some pins while removing and reinstalling the cables...there are a lot of other possibilities too...

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

did you have the computer unplugged from the wall before opening it up...because if not there is still power to the mobo so you could have killed some of the components while "playing " inside...you could also have bent some pins while removing and reinstalling the cables...there are a lot of other possibilities too...

yes, i did unplug the computer, and the pins seem fine. But i have 2 hard drives, and there is one wire that has 2 connections to it(sorry ill try to explain to the best of my abilities). The one main wire, goes from the motherboard to the 2 harddrives. It has 2 long connections, like its atleast an inch long, and theres 2 of them on that one main wire. Because i have 2 hard drives right. and theres another smaller plug that goes to the left of that. i was wondering if i mixed and matched them, like putting the connector in the other hard drive would that make a diffrence. becuause that was what i was mostly playing around with.

any suggestions, thanks for the inquirey

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

What type of cable connects to the drives? Is it a flat, wide cable?

Um i dont really know the diffrence. Im guessing its wide, because its got 2 levels of pins on it. It connects to the hard drive, its a big grey wire, that consist of meany wires that the pins connect to. and theres also another plug that goes into the hard drive, which is alot smaller. I think i mixed those 2 up, and put one with the other.. will that make a diffrence..

thankz for the help..

hoping it would start up atleast, because it was fully working..until i desided to make it look neater.. :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Does it look like one of these?

Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the one that connects to the end connector is the master...the one in the middle is the slave drive...you should hook them up in the same oder they were...if your not sure try swapping the way you have them connected now

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Does it look like one of these?

Posted Image

YESs exactally like that one.. just the colour is diffrent. but no big deal..and its one cable... the blue one.. that has 2 of those connectors on it.. becuase of my 2 hard drives.. and the other smaller one has 2 as well..

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Did you switch the order that the blue cable (it's called an IDE cable) hooks up to the hard drives? Your motherboard is designed to talk to only one of them during parts boot-up and it'll try to speak to the one that's plugged into a specific one of the two connections on the blue cable.

If you did flip-flop them, go ahead and unplug the computer. Open the case back up and switch them back (make sure you keep at least one hand touching a metal part of the case while you're doing this.)

A second option is that your LAN card might not be back in all the way. Make sure it's snapped in place.

Your error code probably tells us what's wrong. If nothing else helps, giving us the vital details of your motherboard (who made it, version, model # - these are probably on the BIOS screen somewhere and certainly screen printed onto the motherboard itself) should let us get a better idea what's hanging it up.

Edited by Joker1337, 11 July 2007 - 12:13 PM.

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Did you switch the order that the blue cable (it's called an IDE cable) hooks up to the hard drives? Your motherboard is designed to talk to only one of them during parts boot-up and it'll try to speak to the one that's plugged into a specific one of the two connections on the blue cable.

If you did flip-flop them, go ahead and unplug the computer. Open the case back up and switch them back (make sure you keep at least one hand touching a metal part of the case while you're doing this.)

A second option is that your LAN card might not be back in all the way. Make sure it's snapped in place.

Your error code probably tells us what's wrong. If nothing else helps, giving us the vital details of your motherboard (who made it, version, model # - these are probably on the BIOS screen somewhere and certainly screen printed onto the motherboard itself) should let us get a better idea what's hanging it up.

I tried went ahead and tried fliping the ide cables around.. and i tried every combination, with the ide cable adn the smaller cable. it still is giving me the same screen.

the lan card is fine.. i just saw it fliped upside down.. and took it out.. and checked, it only fits one way, so im fine with that.

Its custom made computer, made in 2005 its got a gigabyte motherboad.. and intel p4 3.0 gigz processor

heres the bois screen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Award Moduar BOIS v6. 00PG, An Energy star Ally
Copyright© 1984-205, Award Software, Inc.

8S61FXM-775 F3

Main processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz(200x15)
<CPUID:0F41 Patch ID:0012>

<del>:BIOS setup/q-flash, <F9>: Xpress Recovery
03/15/2005-SiS-661FX-6A7I4G0DC-00

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thats what screen im stuck at, thanks for any help posted..

Advertisements

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was just wondering, could i of fried the computer or something by unplugging these cables.. or touching the inside.. but how come the computer stil turns on..anyways, thanks for the help so far.. Hope that wasent so discouraging Hahah

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you remove the drives from the computer or just unplug them...did you unplug the cd/dvd drive as well...did you remove both ends of the cables...ie hd and mobo ends...

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

did you remove the drives from the computer or just unplug them...did you unplug the cd/dvd drive as well...did you remove both ends of the cables...ie hd and mobo ends...

I dident go as far as taking the drives out of the computer, I just unpluged them when taking a look at my computer. I did not touch the dvd drives or the cd dives. I dident touch the part where the ide wire goes to the motherboard connection. Just where the wire connects to the hard drives, AWwhh i hope something works..

Im going to try pressing in the wires or something, because i tried every combination with the ide wire and the smaller one.. Is there any other reason a computer would just freeze at that screen and go no further.. because i think i have some hope if the computer turns on right....

Thankz for the help so far..

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hrm. If the PC powers up, it means that some of your hardware works, yes. The question is how much and which parts and are they permenantly disabled. I don't think pushing on the ends of the cables will help. They generally snap in firmly.

You're talking about a "smaller wire" does it look like this? peripheralpic.jpg or like something else?

When you power the PC up, does the HD-activity LED on the front of the case light up? If it doesn't the HD might be disconnected from the power source somehow. Can you hear the Hard Drive, CD-Drive, or CPU Fan spin?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try moving the IDE cable that is attached to the CDrom to the hard drives. I have seen (very recently) an IDE cable fail. If this is the problem leave it as is and run down to the computer store and pickup a new one.
The sockets on the cable are keyed, meaning they should only plug in one way. Check to see that the red stripe or dotted line is closest to the white power plug.